why are you here?

( three months later )

so I guess people are throwing Madi and I a going away party at a park later tonight but im not that excited for it. I mean I do care about most of them but, I know I won't see them anymore so now it's hitting me.

I fell asleep a hour I needed to go because I would rather sleep then stress right now.

I get woken up by my phone ringing

"Malia, if you don't get that damn phone!" my mom shouted

I picked it up annoyed then saw it was Madi

"are you ready?" Madi asked

"what?" I sat up and rubbed my eyes

I looked at the time

8:40

fuck I really have to go

I got up quickly and put on a hoodie and sweats

Madi honked her horn from outside but she knows she cant do that especially in this neighborhood.

I put on my shoes and hopped in her car.

"i'm gonna beat you up, you can't be honking these old people will hate crime me".

"its the last night here so too bad" Madi laughed.

"give me aux right now, because what are you playing? trash." i said with a straight face thinking I ate.

y'all don't play with this sawng lorddd

this is our song so we both looked at each other and I grabbed my imaginary microphone and started singing. or you could say badly singing

L.A. got the people saying (la-la-la-la-la)

Brooklyn saying (la-la-la-la-la)Hacienda saying (la-la-la-la-la)Vegas saying (la-la-la-la-la)Rio saying (la-la-la-la-la)Tokyo saying (la-la-la-la-la)Down under saying (la-la-la-la-la)Miami saying (la-la-la-la-la)Jamaica

we both looked at each other and laughed

"yea we did that" i said with a smirk

Madi and I pulled up to the park, the headlights of her car casting shadows across the grassy field. We could already see the group of our friends gathered around the flames laughing and having fun, and a wave of bittersweet emotion washed over me.

"Ready?" I asked, turning to Madi.

She nodded, but I could see the tension in her shoulders. "Yeah, let's do this."

As we approached, I noticed a familiar figure sitting next to James, one of our friends. My heart sank. Grace. The ex who had cheated on Madi. My blood started to boil instantly.

"Are you kidding me?" I muttered under my breath.

James saw us coming and waved, but his smile faded as he noticed the look on my face. Grace turned, her expression a mixture of guilt and defiance.

"What the hell, James?" I shouted, ignoring the sudden hush that fell over the group. "Why would you bring her here?"

James looked taken aback. "Malia, I just thought—"

I pointed "You thought wrong," I cut him off, my voice rising. "And by the way, Grace, just so you know, James asked to fuck me a week ago."

A collective gasp went up from the group, and Grace's face changed. She whipped around to face James, her eyes blazing with fury.

"Are you serious?" Grace screamed. "You hypocrite!"

"a cheater deserves a cheater" Madi laughed

James stammered, trying to explain himself, but Grace was already storming off, leaving James to trail after her, their argument growing fainter as they walked away. A ripple of laughter and murmurs spread through the campfire circle, the tension easing as the drama faded into the night.

"Well, that was intense," Hannah said, breaking the awkward silence. She turned to Madi and me with a curious look. "So, why L.A.?"

I took a deep breath. "It's time for a change," I said, glancing at Madi. "We need new opportunities, and L.A. has so much to offer, especially for filmmaking."

Madi nodded in agreement. "And after everything with Grace, I need a fresh start. Somewhere I can reinvent myself."

Hannah smiled "Just know we'll miss you both like crazy."

At that moment, Charlie, who had been quietly observing from his spot across from us, stood up. His eyes were already glassy with unshed tears. "I'm going to miss you both so much."

I felt a lump form in my throat. Charlie and I had been friends since middle school, meeting in an LGBTQ club that had been a safe haven for both of us. He had been my rock through so many ups and downs.

"Charlie," I said softly, stepping forward to hug him. "We'll miss you too."

His embrace was tight and comforting, and I could feel his silent sobs against my shoulder. "You guys better visit," he managed to say, his voice cracking.

"We will," Madi promised, joining the hug. "And you can come visit us anytime. We'll show you all the best spots in L.A."

Charlie pulled back, wiping his eyes. "It won't be the same without you."

"I know," I said, my own eyes stinging with tears. "But we'll stay in touch. This isn't goodbye forever."

The rest of the night was filled with laughter, stories, and a few more tears. We reminisced about old times, shared our hopes for the future, and made plans for visits.

As the fire burned down to glowing embers, I looked around at my friends, feeling a deep sense of gratitude. This place, these people—they had shaped who I was. Leaving wouldn't be easy, but I knew it was the right move for both Madi and me.

11:43

"guys come here" I got up and opened my arms for a group hug. I didn't know It would be this sad. I even saw Madi start crying and she barely cries.

 Madi and I walked back to her car, feeling a mix of sadness and excitement.

As we drove away from the park, the headlights cutting through the darkness, I turned to Madi. "are you ready for tomorrow?"

She smiled, a determined look in her eyes. "duh bitch."

And with that, we headed into the unknown, leaving behind the familiar for the promise of something new and exciting in Los Angeles.

I posted on my insta story when I was getting ready for bed