35. Against all odds

Blue shirt, fresh from a twelve-hour shift at the office. Glasses on, hair done up; a not-too-expensive watch on one wrist, the sight of a strange tattoo peeking out from his neck and down his chest. A curious look. That was all Taehyung could notice when he saw Namjoon arrive at the table and greet him.

"Good night." He said, and his voice seemed like the product of a dream. He bowed, and Taehyung returned the gesture, allowing him to take a seat.

Namjoon settled himself, fixed his tie to loosen it a little and cleared his throat. After doing so, he didn't know what else to do with his body.

"I ordered red wine while you arrived." Taehyung informed him, playing with his glass on the table, a red wine staining his fingers with each violent turn he gave it, to the sound of clock hands as a prelude to the patience he had been carrying for several minutes. He disguised the fear of having that man in front of him again, who was grateful to be distracted and, in the end, left both hands on his legs.

"Thank you." Namjoon answered and let Taehyung serve him, then took the glass, appreciated it and tasted it, receiving an approving gesture when he returned it to the table. He looked up, touched. "Has your day been good?"

"Yes, it seems that there are some problems, but everything is fine." Taehyung did not expect the question, but he figured out how to answer it. "And you?"

"Good too..." He was always shorter to answer, but the silence that followed was what was really unexpected. They both stared at each other, playing with their eyes for minutes, not knowing what else to say. It amused them both, who hoped not to stop talking, but now it was so much that their mouths remained silent. In the end it was Taehyung who broke the silence with an infectious smile. "Sorry...I didn't mean to be awkward just...do you find it strange that I don't know where to start?"

Taehyung lowered his head.

"Not at all, I...I don't really know either." Namjoon smiled and leaned in, telling himself that it wasn't that big of a deal, of course, standing in front of Taehyung while he played with his hair and looked down like that, with his lips wet and nervous; of course it wasn't that big of a deal...

Taehyung took a deep breath and waited, kind of liking the game of push and pull with the glances he knew Namjoon was placing on his lips.

"Tell me, about...your life in America." Taehyung said suddenly, taking initiative with a fear in his chest. He said it eloquently, with genuine curiosity as he took another drink. "Was it how you expected?"

"It was good..." Namjoon said with a half-smile, remembering the years he had lived while playing with his hands on the table "the classes left a little to be desired, but all in all I felt good." He omitted the detail of loneliness, of how it devoured him to be alone and how he was plagued by guilt; because it simply wasn't necessary to say it. "I liked the freedom above all... being myself without paying attention to anyone." He relaxed on the chair and smiled, remembering certain sunny days.

Taehyung was enthralled watching him talk, leaning on his hand on the table as he watched him.

"I bet you had a lot of fun with your friends, going to museums or exhibitions, like only you know how to have fun." Taehyung commented, and a lowered gaze observed him.

"Well, they weren't very keen on accompanying me, so I went alone," Namjoon let out a light laugh, which Taehyung accompanied, "some things don't change around the world."

"I bet you're right, but can you blame them?" Namjoon gave a slight smile and shook his head, slightly enjoying this company, who seemed to know him so well.

"No, not really." He moved forward to settle down and looked at the man in front of him. They both laughed together, and Namjoon devoted himself to admiring the man, the way he moved his shoulders slightly, the sound of his voice, the impeccable smile. He just watched, discreet and immersed in his own happiness.