38. Present

The house smelled like cinnamon because of the cake that had just come out of the oven. Taehyung carefully placed it on the dining room table, gently on a protective piece of wood. He sighed, then took off his oven mitts and wiped the sweat from his forehead.

Around them, the table was set with cinnamon and apple cake, mandu guk, tteokguk and japchae. Taehyung looked at the clock in the kitchen and confirmed that twenty minutes had passed; In a hurry, he took off his apron and hurried into the room.

The house was the same as when they had both arrived, except that now the door that led to the three offices was new and separated from the house by a hallway. Taehyung knew that on the other side Namjoon was saying goodbye to his employees, wishing them a good new solar year.

In a hurry, Taehyung took off his stained shirt and changed into a light blue one; He looked in the mirror to make sure his hair was well done and sighed, closing his eyes.

Suddenly, a pair of arms wrapped around him behind him, alerting his senses to immediately rest on the burly chest behind him.

"Ready?" Namjoon spoke into his neck, looking at him through the mirror. Taehyung smiled.

"Yes, everything went well."

"Excellent." He gave him a kiss on the cheek and turned him around to see him, as soon as he had him face to face, he gave him a sweet kiss on the lips, holding his head from behind so he could fit perfectly, savoring the apple drops that were still on his lips. As they separated, Taehyung breathed calmly.

They held hands and walked to the dining room. They still took a few seconds to arrange the cutlery, adjust the light, and put on some light music. When everything was ready, they sat down opposite each other.

"You look handsome." Namjoon told her as soon as he started serving food, her husband looked at him nervously, feeling grown up after the compliment.

"No more than you." Taehyung served her food and settled into her place. While his husband ate, he adjusted the collar of his blouse, showing off the new fabric. Namjoon noticed it and smiled.

"It's the shirt I gave you, right?" Namjoon asked and noticing Taehyung's blush he added "It's good that you're wearing something new." He continued eating and drinking calmly; From the window you could hear the fireworks in the distance and the music inside created the homely atmosphere that they both needed. "Did you call your family?"

Taehyung nodded, gulping before answering.

"Apparently they will celebrate at grandmother's house, my mother sends her regards." Taehyung explained, and seeing Namjoon smile he decided to continue talking. "She says that  Kyong can't stop talking about the stuffed animal you gave her, apparently she always sleeps with it, and she can't stop talking about her brother-in-law."

They both laughed between the food.

"My sister says the same about you." Namjoon said, helping himself to more japchae. "She's excited that my family agreed to spend Seollal with her... she says she might be able to convince them to at least talk to me again." His tone dropped pitifully, but in time he recovered. "In any case, it's better not to get your hopes up too high."

Taehyung noticed the sadness in his words and sighed, raised his glass and smiled.

"Forget that; you better toast with me."

Namjoon smirked and raised his glass to accompany him.
"Sehe bok manhi badeuseyo!" Taehyung celebrated and drank, Namjoon looked at him amused and took the liquor too. When they finished, they both smiled and continued eating.

After half an hour they were both on the couch, watching the KBS special for the new year on television while spooning pai into their mouths. Lying, snuggled into each other, feeling their presences fill the room.

Suddenly, Namjoon, before bringing the spoonful to his husband's mouth, took it in a deep kiss. Finishing it, he whispered against his lips.

"I have a gift for you."

Taehyung moved away from his so his husband could get up; He laughed a little when he saw him enter the offices again and waited a little until he returned with a box in his arms with three holes in the side. When he got to the living room, he left it at Taehyung's feet and moved away.

Taehyung looked at Namjoon sharply before lifting the lid of the box, and as he did so, he began to laugh happily.

"Aren't you a beautiful thing?" He told the baby dog that he came out of the box, and that he soon took him into his arms. The puppy licked his face; Next to him, Namjoon looked at Taehyung amused.

"I thought it would be good to have a little company, since a child is no option." Namjoon explained, petting the dog himself and looking at his husband. "Do you like it?"

Taehyung watched the puppy flee from his arms and sniff around between his legs, and with him he fell to the ground. Soon the two men saw the puppy exploring the house and barking happily, then returning to the youngest's arms and licking his hands. Namjoon turned to look at his husband when he did so, and he looked at him too.

"I love it." He grabbed Namjoon's chin and pulled him in for a kiss. "Can I call him whatever I want?" Namjoon nodded.

Taehyung payed attention to the colors of the puppy for some seconds before quickly making up his mind.

"So... what do you think about Yeontan?"

"Yeontan?" Namjoon asked, petting the Pomeranian with a smile, "well, I guess if he has some charcoal on him..." he petted the Pomeranian's black nose and the dog tried to reach for the finger with his tongue, falling on his side from the momentum the second he did.

Taehyung took him and hugged him immediately.

"My little Yeontan..." he smiled and turned to look at Namjoon with a special shine in his eyes. After several seconds he left the dog next to him and got up, and before his husband could ask him where he was going, he disappeared at the door. Namjoon stayed with the dog until he returned with an envelope in his hand, which he held out. Namjoon gave him a curious look before taking it. "I was planning on giving it to you later, but I guess now is better."

Namjoon opened the envelope, revealing a couple of papers. He brought them up to read them as the dog settled back into Taehyung's lap as he sat back down on the floor; He read the headline and immediately turned to look at his husband.

"Fix everything and the place is ours...we can start making it hybrid and, look," he approached to show him the papers that were behind it, a map of the place and a decoration sketch, "here can be my office and these..." he pointed to a set of offices "they can be yours...it's a little far, but we can be there together and take better care of the house and your bussiness..." a hand on his wrist stopped him.

"Did you plan all this?"

"Well, we talked about doing it after we got married and, the place belonged to Jin Hyung, he found it for a good price, but there wasn't much to do for it when he moved out. He said it's his wedding gift." He gave a small laugh but took it away when Namjoon's gaze didn't change. "What's wrong? If you don't like something, tell me now because I've already arranged everything in the company for remodeling."

Namjoon shook his head and smiled, showing his dimples on full display.

"No, everything is perfect I just...I really love you, Kim Taehyung."

His full naming made Taehyung burst into laughter and lean more into his husband, laughing at his cute face.

"And where did that come from?"

They both stared out the apartment window, where fireworks continued to explode. Namjoon held his hand and let the dog run to explore inside the rooms.

"Nowhere." Namjoon responded, kissing his hand.

They stared at the window for a while longer and then Taehyung got up, looking for a cup of tea for both of them.

Finally, they decided to put things in order the next day; They left the dog in the living room with kibble and water that Namjoon had already bought, they cleared the table together and went to the bedroom, where after changing and unmaking the bed, they curled up to sleep together.