•[19-One Man's Scrap is Another Inventor's Treasure (part 2)]•

[Sorry for the hiatus...again. Look, burnout sucks a ton, and while I understand that it's probably not as good of an excuse to go MIA for almost 2 months after promising to upload sooner in the previous chapter, but writing is hard when you've got mid-year exams and a ton of stress to deal with. I'll try and upload as soon as possible from now on, but I can't make any promises. Again, I'm sorry for the hiatus, hopefully I'll be able to upload again soon. For now, enjoy the chapter.]

Alex's P.O.V

I just sit there for a second, paralyzed as the red light scans over my face. I'm almost caught in a trance, both terrified but intrigued by what the drone might do next.

Until a scorching yellow light flashes in the centre of the lens.

"ALEX LOOK OUT!"

Before I can even register what's going on, I feel my body being pulled violently to the side, milliseconds after the car we were hiding behind just a minute ago flips into the air. Coming to a sudden stop, the pain in my shoulder kicks in as Sonic hides me behind a mound of scrap.

"Owwww." I clutch my shoulder. Sonic shoots me a look of concern.

"You okay?" He asks.

"A heads up would be great next time." I groan.

"Oh, sorry, didn't know you'd rather be blown to pieces."

I open my mouth to speak, but not even a second later, I hear the sound of another lazer whirring up behind me. The drone readies to fire another beam right at us.

"Would you like that heads up now?"

"Just grab my hand and run!" I yell.

Without another word, Sonic takes my wrist and dashes off with me to another scrap pile. A split second later, the mound we were hiding behind bursts and scatters everywhere. The drone follows right behind us, firing a destructive beam at my feat every few seconds and occasionally sending scrap flying.

'My lightspeed boots would be really helpful right about now!' I think to myself, quickly losing breath. Another lazer fires right at my feet. I sidestep out of the way just in time to avoid the blast, stumbling a bit.

"Sonic, can't, run, too, tired." I wheeze. Sonic skids to a sudden stop, glancing at me for a split second, before spin-dashing right up to the drone and kicking it to the side, sending the metal orb flying across the scrap yard. It catches me off guard, but gives me time to stop and catch my breath.

I slump next to another pile of scrap before going into a coughing fit next to Sonic. He pats me on the back to try and help.

"You good, bud?" He asks.

"My lungs are on fire." I cough. "I never ran that much before, not even as a kid."

"Well at least we're out of danger."

"Yeah, for now." I groan, having caught my breath enough to stop breathing frantically. "Nice kick, by the way."

"Thanks." Sonic mutters, his tone now serious. "Now what's going on with that drone? I thought you had access to all of Egghead's stuff after you hacked your way into his system."

"So did I." I sigh. "I should be able to override its auto functions and control the drone remotely, but something in its programming is blocking me out. I think the code's been updated with some kind of firewall directed at me, or something designed specifically to block me out."

"Can Eggman even do something like that?" Sonic asks, his eyes widening slightly. I cross my arms.

"If he's able to build an entire secret lair, dozens of robots and a portal between worlds, I doubt he's incapable of something like that."