1.2

THE SHADOW SUMMONER thought Kaz was most foolish - searching through Ketterdam for someone who made it through the Fold in a better state than herself, well it was practically impossible. I mean, she came out with haphephobia and a permanent need to feel the leather against her fingertips for any sense of comfort. Sometimes Victoria wondered what torture Kaz had endured to put him in a similar predicament. She saw the way he tensed up when he had to even consider contact, despite his gloves.

The Crows swept through Ketterdam, the bustling streets full of thieves, beggars and con artists alike. Vi swiped a few things as they strode in search of someone who she was sure simply didn't exist.

-🐦‍⬛-

"Tell us how to safely cross the Fold." Kaz demanded, the woman in front of the four teens giving a judgemental look as she had a cigarette stuffed between two fingers.

"The Fold? If I knew safe passage through that, I'd be wealthier than the whole Merchant Council." The woman put her cigarette out and Victoria sighed. They'd been to person after person and gotten nothing other than a few thieved coins richer.

"You told me you brought in girls from Os Alta. The other side." Inej sat directly opposite this contact with a harsh glare as Kaz stood to her right, Jesper to her left and Victoria directly behind her.

"Yeah. The hard way. Lost a few to those damn volcra, too." The woman informed, a displeased look on her face. Well, onto the next person.

-🐦‍⬛-

"Even if by some miracle we find someone stupid enough to cross the Fold with us, we'll all surely die." It was safe to say that the Skotos was sure of this, and rightly so. "Or at least leave with enough nightmarish trauma to serve a lifetime." She told them as she leant against a wall and swiped things from passers by.

     "This job is worth a million kruge, Victoria." Kaz reminded, a lecturing tone in his words, and the Skotos scoffed.

     "It's your funeral, Brekker." She told him, counting the coins in the bag she'd stolen from a man mere seconds ago.

     "I think you mean our funeral, Vi." Jesper responded, not sounding overly fond about this.

     "Let's keep looking. I think I know someone who may know something." Kaz spoke vaguely, causing the other Crows to damn him under their breath as they followed him blindly, like magpies to riches, or crows to crumbs.

-🐦‍⬛-

     Another two useless conversations later, and the four of them were visiting someone that Jesper seemed to have so much faith in. Faith that was diminished very quickly after the exchange.

     "I'm telling you, this is our guy!" The sharpshooter was all excited; whilst Kaz kept his common expression - or lack of, Inej didn't say a word, keeping her focus on protecting the Shadow Summoner - a habit the woman picked up being driven by her religion which she held dear to her; and Victoria simply followed along, following her usual habits of letting shadows seep into pockets to help the Crows gain.

     "Nah, there's no trick to it except how it makes people disappear from time to time." This peculiarly dressed man in the middle of an alley told them, Jesper crouching to the man's level whilst the other three Crows stood behind and watched.