2.1

VICTORIA COULD HEAR Inej and Kaz arguing about the little time they had to get across the Fold. One week reduced to a few hours? Vi couldn't exactly blame Inej's distress. She tried to ignore them, but it was difficult when she heard the Suli woman leave through Kaz's window. If only she could do more, help Inej get out of the Menagerie. But she couldn't.

     Victoria was no saint.

-🐦‍⬛-

Victoria and Aleksander weren't always two ends of a sword, but rather a pair of daggers that worked side by side.

But once the Fold grew from her brother's ego, the siblings each became more of their own person.

Baghra sighed, looking at the two mischievous children. "You two will be the death of Ravka for saint's sake." Their mother muttered as Vi and Aleksander kept trying to distract one another as they used shadow to play-fight.

Such innocence torn away.

Aleksander was soon holding the upper hand, and Victoria tried to summon a small amount of shadow to push her brother off, but he instead used a small amount of shadow to wrap around Victoria's neck, and she did the same to him.

     That's the thing with the Morozova siblings, they were highly competitive. Always pushing themselves to beat the other.

     The memory felt sweet, until the nine-year-old Aleksander seemed to lose his features as Victoria's mind morphed him into volcra, and the scene of sweet childhood changed to that of darkness.

Claws wrapped around her neck, skin touching skin as the creature screamed in her face, every part of it seeming to make her repulse.

To make matters worse, the hold was tighter, the volcra was closer to her, her brother was talking in the back of her mind.

"Monster." One of his final words before she made for Kerch.

     Victoria awoke in a cold sweat, taking a moment to realise that she'd seemingly left shadowy burns in the bed frame where she'd subconsciously gripped in fear. Coming to her senses, the Grisha realised there were footsteps in the Slat, one's she didn't recognise. They lingered for mere seconds, before a door slammed open above her. Kaz's room.

     The Grisha was quick to get up and pull her boots on, having dozed off in her normal clothes, and try investigate.

     No-one was there. The woman wasn't sure if she was just going insane, or whether these people were quick on their feet. Either way, Victoria thought it was smart to slip into the Crow Club and keep a weary eye on customers. She hoped it was a simple mistake, but she knew better than to hope.

     As Victoria came into Kaz's lower office, the man was watching the people in the club. "Inej, listen..." He began, "I'm not Inej." Vi corrected as Kaz turned.

     "I know that, she's behind you, is she not?" Kaz asked, and as the Shadow Summoner turned around, two men that the bastard seemed to recognise came in.

     Kaz was quick to hit one with his cane and Victoria quickly picked up the situation and pulled out a dagger Inej had given her and held the blade to give a sharp blow to the head with the handle. It was nonsensical to kill them when they likely had a part to play in something bigger.