CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

༻·𖥸·༺

The journey back to the Northern Lands began with a solemn departure from the Tomioka manor.

I went out the manor with Kanao, Oliver who was already waiting for us bowed and opened the carriage door us.

"The duke?" I asked him.

"He will be following your carriage, My Lady" Oliver reassured with a smile. "He is with the Military Force."

I nod and was about to enter the carriage when I heard galloping horses entering the gates of the manor.

It was the duke and his assembled comrades from the Northern Military Force, all of the commanding officers are present.

"Greetings, Your Grace." Lieutenant Sabito bowed as soon as they all arrived.

All of them bowed.

I only smiled and looked at Giyu. He went down from his horse and walked to me.

"Everything is settled, we can move forward." He said coldly.

It surprised me for a moment, unable to speak in an instant so I just nodded and entered the carriage where Kanao is waiting quietly.

As soon as I entered, I saw that the duke talked to Oliver, he then looked over to the carriage and opened the door.

"The carriage will now be heading to the Northern Territory." The duke explained.

I can see an unfamiliar expression as he sighs. "You'll be escorted by the Northern Military Force."

"What about you?" I asked carefully.

He stopped for a moment.

"We will trail behind you... We just have to-" he stopped mid-sentence.

But he caresses my cheek and sighed once more.

"We were summoned by the King..."

...

As the carriage rolled along the winding paths leading out the Tomioka House, I looked outside the window.

The duke...

I couldn't shake a lingering unease that had settled in my chest as we left the manor.

Giyu had been different after the meeting with his comrades—distant, preoccupied.

Though he assured me about them trailing after but I couldn't help but to feel uneasy.

I hope nothing bad happens.

To distract myself, I did was to look at the landscape passed in a blur outside the carriage window, the early morning sunlight casting fleeting shadows on the road ahead.

Kanao sat beside me, her usually calm demeanor reflecting the tension in the air.

"Is something troubling you, sister?" Kanao asked softly, breaking the silence that had enveloped us since we left the manor.

She must've heard me sigh countless of times.

"It's nothing, Kanao," I replied gently turning to Kanao, though my words felt hollow even to myself.

Kanao studied my face, concern evident in her expression and looks like she doesn't believe me.

"You seem worried," she observed quietly. "Is it about father?"

I shook my head and gave her a smile.

I am not worried about father and his guards following us...

I trust the duke when he said, he will protect us. I know that father cannot defy the duke even though he wanted to.