CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

༻·𖥸·༺

GIYU TOMIOKA

PRESENT

"It is indeed..."

"An honor, to see you once again..."

"Little Tomioka." Viscount Tanjuro greeted warmly, his voice tinged with both gratitude and a hint of melancholy.

"Thank you for coming."

Viscount Tanjuro Kamado, now aged and frail, awaited them in the serene garden courtyard.

He was being guided by his wife, The Lady of the Kamado House.

Lady Kie Kamado, the Viscountess...

The Viscount, his once robust frame was now diminished, but his eyes still held a spark of wisdom and kindness as they met my gaze.

I bowed respectfully; expression solemn yet filled with deep respect.

"Viscount Tanjuro, it is an honor to see you again."

Shinobu, who's now standing beside me, offered a gentle smile to the Viscount as she bowed as well. "Thank you for welcoming us, Viscount."

The Viscount chuckled softly, with a raspy sound that spoke of years lived fully. "Ah, my dear Lady Shinobu. Your presence brings a lightness to these old bones."

We walked together to a shaded pavilion overlooking a tranquil pond adorned with water lilies. The sound of trickling water soothed the atmosphere, lending a sense of peace to the conversation.

Viscount Tanjuro gestured me to sit beside him,

Obligating his request, I sat and fixed my posture respectful yet relaxed. Shinobu settled gracefully beside me, her gaze shifting between the Viscount and I with a mixture of fondness and reverence.

"I wanted to thank you, Giyu," the Viscount began.

His voice soft yet filled with earnest gratitude.

"For everything you've done for our family, for our lands."

"You have brought honor and stability to the Northern Territory."

...

Silently, I felt like my heart was touched.

I inclined my head humbly. "It was my duty and honor, Viscount."

"Your kindness and guidance shaped me into the man I am today."

The Viscount's weathered hand reached out, grasping mine with a firm yet gentle grip.

"No, my boy." He smiled very weakly. "It is you who have brought prosperity and protection to our people.

"You have upheld the values of our house with unwavering loyalty."

"Just like your father would've done."

My eyes reflected the sincerity of his words.

His words pierced through my whole soul.

His voice. The complete opposite of cold.

It was warm and feels comforting, somehow...

"Viscount Tanjuro, you took me in when I had nothing. You gave me a chance to rebuild my life, to find purpose in service."

I thanked and bowed slightly,

Feeling a warm yet soft hand on my head.

Just like how father use to pat me in the head...

"For that, I am eternally grateful." With a trembling voice.

I tried my best not to shed anymore tears as I bowed in front of the man and woman who raised me.

Who put a roof on my head when I had nothing...

Who protected and sheltered the lifeless body of a kid—

Noticed that the Lady Kie shed tears, I gave them both a smile.

"Thank you."

Shinobu, her gaze soft with emotion, interjected softly.

I felt her hands on my back, like a support "Viscount, the duke often speaks of the kindness your family showed him. It is a debt we can never fully repay."

The Viscount smiled warmly, his eyes crinkling at the corners with affection.

"You owe us nothing, my dear Shinobu. You and Giyu have already given us more than we could ever ask for."

As the conversation drifted into reminiscence and shared stories of trials and triumphs, I felt a deep sense of peace settle within me.

The bond between the Tomioka and Kamado families transcended duty and honor—it was forged in mutual respect and unwavering support.

And even before we departed...

I stood beside the Viscount once more, my hand resting gently on the elder's shoulder.

"Thank you, Viscount Tanjuro," I repeated quietly, voice filled with heartfelt gratitude.

"For everything."

The Viscount stood with tall and poise, despite of the difficulty...

He went forward as he slowly wrapped his arms around me.

Now.

Hugging me.

I felt Viscount nodded, as he slowly caressing the back of my neck.

"You've done well, child." He whispered softly.

And before I knew it.

I can feel my eyes starting to water.

Slowly, my tears started to fall on my cheeks.

I know that his expression serene yet tinged with a bittersweet realization of passing time.

"Take care of our lands, Giyu." The Viscount whispered once more, but this time with determination,

"And just like before." he added.

"Do not let anyone...ever step in your wings once again."