Chapter 1- Fresh Meat

As we drive through the desert, in the distance, I can see a small town. If you could even call it that. There are three large wooden structures and a couple of very large tents. The signs on the buildings read; Warden's Office, Leisure Hall, and Camp Centre. On the sides of the tents, the word "Tent _" was spray painted, followed by either A, B, C, or D.

The bus approaches a sudden stop right in the middle of the camp, sending me and Stanley flying forward. The bus driver turns around and looks at the two of us.
BUS DRIVER: Good luck. Especially you...
He looks right into my eyes. And I can feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I have a feeling there's something I haven't been told about this camp. Well, there's a lot of things I haven't been told, but this seems even more important. I look at Stanley, and he moves his head in the direction of the door. He gets up, and I follow suit. As we slowly make our way down the bus, I hear yelling from outside.
BOY 1: It's a girl!
BOY 2: No way!
BOY 3: Look!
Shit. It's a boys only camp. Wait a second, if it's a boys only camp, then what the shit am I doing here? That can't be legal. In fact, none of this can be legal. I follow Stanley off the bus and look around. All of the boys are just loitering around, staring at us.
BOY 4: Fresh meat!
I take a good look at some of these boys. God, they all look so tired and dirty, and they're all wearing the same orange jumpsuit... This is a prison.
BOY 5: Yo, they're letting girls in here now?
BOY 6: Dibs!
This is all too much. What the hell even is this place?

Stanley and I are directed to follow the officer who was riding the bus with us. We keep our eyes down and follow him into the camp centre. We are met with a very greasy looking man who is rather podgy.
MAN: Sit down.
He picks up our files as we sit down.
MAN: Y/n Yelnats and Stanley Yeltants... the fourth?
STANLEY: Yeah, everyone in my family calls their son Stanley, cause its like... a tradition...
Stanley trails off as he can see that the man very clearly doesn't care. The man looks at me with utter disgust as he chews on some sunflower seeds. Freak.
MAN: My name is Mr. Sir. When you speak to me, you will address me by my name.
I bite back a smile and glance over at Stanley and see him smirking. Really, Mr. Sir? That's his name? Sounds to me like he's trying to overcompensate for a fragile masculinity, but whatever.
MR SIR: You think that's funny?
STANLEY+Y/N: No, Mr. Sir
MR SIR: This isn't a girl scout camp
Y/N: Then what am I doing here?
Mr. Sir, glares at me.
MR SIR: You are here because you're no better than the rest of these brainless idiots.
Ok, it doesn't really answer my question, but to be honest, he really doesn't seem like the kind of man you want to pick a fight with.

Stanley and I follow Mr. Sir, out of the camp centre and into another, smaller building. We walk in and are greeted by one of the older campers.
BOY: Hi Mr. Sir
Mr. Sir looks at us.
MR SIR: Undress. You get two sets of clothes. One for work and one for relaxation.
Y/N: Mr. Sir, I don't feel comfortable changing here
MR SIR: Did I ask you what you felt comfortable doing?
Y/N: No, Mr. Sir
I turn around and start to undress. I can feel the older boy's eyes on me. Again, this surely can't be legal. At least he's staring at the back of me, not the front. I take a white shirt and one of the stupid orange jumpsuits. We are allowed to wear our own clothes for sleep only. Stanley and I finish getting dressed.
MR SIR: You are to dig one hole every day. 5 foot deep and 5 foot in diameter. Your shovel is your measuring stick. The longer it takes you to dig, the longer you'll be out in the hot sun.
Suddenly, the door creaks open behind us.
MAN: Stanley and Y/n Yelnats?
STANLEY: Yeah
MAN: I'm Dr. Pendanski, your counsellor.
MR SIR: Give them some towels and tokens, and set them up.
DR. PENDANSKI: You'll both be in 'D' tent
Well, at least we're in this together...