Chapter 5- Dig it

We are all rudely awoken by the piercing sound of a whistle. Jesus, what time even is it? I hear the boys groan and begin to stir. Suppose I better get up and dressed before they wake up.

We head outside to join the rest of the camp. It's still dark out. It must be like... 5 in the morning. What sick freak willingly gets up at 5 in the morning? Oh yeah, Mr. Sir.
MR SIR: Rise and shine! The early mole digs the deepest hole. Shovels on the left. Tortillas on the right.
He opens the doors to a shed full of shovels and gestures to a wooden crate filled with tortillas drenched in... something? We all form an orderly queue to collect a shovel and I pick up one with a red strip across the top. As I'm walking to collect my delicious (revolting) tortilla, the shovel is snatched out of my hand.
Y/N: Excuse me?
X-ray just throws the shovel he had on the ground in front of me and walks off with the one I had, smirking at me. I lean down and grab the one off the floor.
MAGNET: You picked up X-ray's shovel. It's shorter than the rest of them.
SQUID: Smaller shovel, smaller hole.
His voice. God, call me pathetic, but every time I hear that gorgeous Southern accent, I literally feel my knees go weak. How sad is that? A boy who hates my guts can make me buckle from just simply saying a few words...

We follow Mr. Sir, as he takes us off into the desert.
MR SIR: Dig here. Now, if you find anything interesting, you are to report it to me or Pendanski. If the warden likes what you find, you get the rest of the day off.
STANLEY: What are we looking for, Mr. Sir?
MR SIR: You're not looking for anything. You're digging to build character. Now start!
We all spread out over the desert and begin digging.

~TIME SKIP~
God, I've been digging for what feels like decades. It's probably been a couple of hours, and I'm not even halfway done yet. Even worse, people keep throwing their sand in my hole. More specifically, Squid. I swear he is doing that on purpose. I turn around to face him.
Y/N: Could you not!?!
He doesn't even look at me.
SQUID: Shut up.
I look around at the other boys expecting them to jump in and help, but no, they just stand there like idiots, gawking at the situation. Great, now this is going to take me twice as long.

I've been digging for another couple of hours, but, thankfully, we get a small break as Mr. Sir's truck pulls up. All the boys drop their shovels and head over to it. I actually managed to get quite a big hole dug, but now, I can't get out of it. All the boys just walk past me and ignore me, but Zigzag stops to help. He gives me his hand and pulls me out. I can see Squid glare at us from Mr. Sir's truck. What's his deal?
ZIGZAG: Get your canteen ready.
Holy shit. I was right, his voice really is deep and sexy. Call me pathetic but I felt my stomach fill with butterflies. I felt my face heat up and I know he saw because he smirked at me. God, this boy...

We all form another line by Mr. Sir's truck, and I stand with Zigzag. At least, I attempt to, until X-ray grabs my arm and pushes me further down the line until I am at the back with Stanley.
Y/N: What the hell?
X-RAY: You earn your place in the line.
How did X-ray earn first place? He's an asshole... And Squid, he's third? What the hell is this ranking system? The biggest dickhead?

~TIME SKIP~
It's been at least another hour, but I am finally done. I don't know if I can do this for 18 months. I somehow managed to climb out of the hole just as Zero walked past me. I guess he's done too. I walk with him back to camp. The other boys are still digging their holes.
ARMPIT: Yo, she's done!
X-RAY: She's as fast as Zero...
I make eye contact with Squid and, for once, notice something that isn't pure hatred in his eyes. What is it, though? Admiration? Respect? You know what, I'm not going to think about it too much, at least it's an improvement. My hands are absolutely destroyed, and I can't feel my arms. I've worked hard today. Maybe that'll earn my place in the water line.