Part 1:The Return of Kudo Shinichi

They always say that crime is unforgivable, that princes and commoners are equal under the law, but is this truly the case? Even in the realm of crime, there still exist biases and hierarchies.

Kudo Shinichi paused, raising his head to see the advertisements displayed on the outer wall of a large department store in the bustling Ginza district of Tokyo. A murderer he once apprehended was now granted parole and invited to a TV interview. The man, now seemingly polite and reformed, was the model of prison rehabilitation. He was being interviewed, not for any other reason, but to engage in a dialogue with Kudo Shinichi from afar.

"Mr. Kimura, your comments about preferential treatment seem to imply something specific. Can you reveal the information you possess to the public?"

Hattori Heiji , walking ahead of Kudo Shinichi, also stopped in his tracks, hands in his pockets and eyes narrowed. "A bunch of bastards who are not afraid of causing trouble ."

"Ha, isn't that the case? Let me give an example, and everyone will understand. Japanese viewers, isn't your beloved Kaito Kid a criminal through and through? The class system can easily be......"

"Hey, wait a minute, sir. What do you mean by that? What right do you have to say..."

The studio gets into an argument, with the host and guest openly quarreling, and the audience below joining the heated debate. Ran pushed Kudo, snapping him out of his daze at the intersection as the cars behind them honked repeatedly.

"Shinichi, let's go. Sonoko, you too. Don't let that scum's words get to you," Ran said, pulling Sonoko by the arm and Shinichi by the collar, dragging them onto the sidewalk.

"How can I not care? Who is he to badmouth Kaito Kid like that? Didn't he kill his own family for money? Such a person should go back to where he came from," Sonoko retorted, shaking off Ran's hand.

"Sonoko!"

"But he's not wrong. Whether it's the police or the public, we do have our own unique perspectives and actions towards Kaito Kid," Hatorri said.

"Hmph! Of course, he's different! How can Kaito Kid be compared to other criminals? Who else risks their life for the weak and public safety like he does? Those who just talk have no idea. If they had Kaitou Kid's courage, they'd get their sentences reduced too!"

Ran quickly tugged on her friend's sleeve, "Sonoko, stop it." But this didn't stop Shinichi's face from turning even paler.

"If only Kid could be as selfish as other criminals. Then... maybe things wouldn't have happened as they did. Maybe..."

Yes, with Kid's intelligence, if he were just a selfish criminal, if their relationship wasn't complicated by personal feelings, maybe he would still be Conan. But at least Kid would still be here, not disappeared, not fallen into the abyss.

At least he could still follow Kid's every step and enjoy each confrontation.

Kudo admitted, theoretically, he should treat every lawbreaker equally, but he couldn't help the unique emotions he had for Kid, his carefully hidden, cherished, once-in-a-lifetime adversary. Indeed, Kid was different from the rest.

"Shinichi, it's not your fault. Stop blaming yourself," Ran said, seeing through Shinichi's inner turmoil. He glanced at her and avoided her attempt to hug him.

They walked away.

Compared to a Meitante like Kudo Shinichi , who constantly engages in cases with criminals, Makoto Kyogoku might not win over him with intelligence and detective skill. But he was never just a brawny fighter. UnlikeKudo, who excelled in reasoning and deduction, Makoto was adept at using his body and muscles to think and deduce. His physical memory was unparalleled. Any encounter, even a fleeting glance, would be etched in his sensory memory.