Part 16:Night at the Aquarium

"Kuroba Kaito."

"Kudo Shinichi."

Kuroba's expression changed so quickly that Kudo almost thought the bright smile just now had never existed before.

Before Kuroba could slam the door in Kudo's face, a tall stranger appeared behind Kuroba Kaito.

"Kaito, it's very rude to keep guests waiting outside." The stranger said.

Kuroba blinked, opened the door a bit wider, but still blocked Kudo's way with one foot: "Kudo Shinichi, are you here to confront me?"

"Can I come in and talk?" Kudo asked in a friendly tone.

Kuroba Kaito reluctantly stepped aside.

This was Kudo's first time in Kuroba Kaito's house. It had a simple industrial style, Kudo glanced around, the air filled with the scent of Provence. Kuroba glanced away, as laughter from a couple came from the kitchen.

Kudo paused, recalling Aoko mentioning Kuroba Chikage—Kuroba Kaito's mother, who had just returned from France yesterday.

The kitchen door opened, and a couple emerged__Kuroba Kaito still wasn't used to seeing his father disguised as someone else, acting all lovey-dovey with his mother. In fact, everything felt strange.

[Kudo Shinichi! Yukiko and I often talk about you. You've grown into such a handsome and sensible young man, unlike our Kaito, who still can't take care of himself at his age.]

The woman before him looked incredibly youthful for her early forties, with a slender figure, a youthful face, and a stylish short haircut in deep purple. Aoko had mentioned that Kuroba Chikage had settled in France for a while, more or less influenced by Western culture.

The tall, fit man beside her was handsome, but not as much as Kuroba Kaito, with features not quite resembling close kin.

Who is this guy? Never heard of him before.

[It's my pleasure to meet you, Aunt Chikage.] Kudo greeted.

Kuroba Kaito cleared his throat: [This is... my mother's boyfriend... called... called...]

Called what? Kuroba Chikage glanced curiously at Toichi, mouthing silently.

[Arthur Nior.] Kuroba Toichi smiled, gently shaking Kudo's hand: [Hello, you look very familiar... like I've seen you on the news.]

[Kudo Shinichi, high school detective.] Kaito explained, and exchanged for Kudo's glance, and then deliberately avoided eye contact.

For some reason, this house gave him a subtle feeling.

Was it estrangement? Or unfamiliarity?

The doorbell rang again; it was Nakamori Aoko.

Seeing Aoko, Kuroba Kaito gave a sincere smile, originally planning to send the detective away, but his mother invited him to stay.

[Shinichi... why don't you stay for lunch? It's getting late, and you can try some of my recipes from Paris.]

At the dining table, Aoko initially felt shy facing Kudo and the unexpected man__ Arthur, but after a few chats, she took the lead in the conversation. Kudo sat beside Kuroba Kaito, clearly sensing the latter's unwillingness.

Was it about yesterday?

Was he too harsh on him?

Kudo lowered his voice: [Kuroba Kaito... I want to apologize.]

[What are you talking about, Kudo-kun? I should be the one apologizing.] Kuroba Kaito took a sip of the Provence soup, wanting to avoid the topic. Kudo put down his knife and fork: [No, I was also wrong. I pushed you too hard, which made you have to turn to Kid.]