Part 59: What are you keeping from me?

"What... what do you mean?"

"Sorry. I've been meaning to tell you for a while now. I've fallen for someone else. I know how you feel about me, but I can't return those feelings," Kudo clenched his fists, deciding to say it all at once.
"That day when you broke up with me ... actually, I was going to talk to you for the same reason. Ran......I didn't want to let you..."

Who is she?
Ran dare not ask.
She couldn't find the words and the courage.

"When did this happen?" Ran whispered, her voice so fragile it seemed it could disappear with the wind.

"I don't know," Kudo answered truthfully.
"The last thing I wanted was to hurt you. I'm sorry... Ran."

"Are you two... together?" Ran asked.

Kudo shook his head, "No."

"Then... does that mean I still have a chance?" A glimmer of hope rekindled in her beautiful eyes.

Kudo laughed quietly, "Ran... you know me better than that... Don't waste your time on me."

"Then......Shinichi.......Are we still friends?" she asked, her voice trembling with caution.

Kudo's cheerful and relaxed laughter echoed at the school gates.
"Of course, we're childhood friends forever, the best of friends and playmates for like more than ten years. Come on, Ran."

Shinichi, is there really no chance left for me?

—----------------

"Wait a second... Inspector Megure, when exactly did this happen?" Kuroba Kaito couldn't believe his ears.

"About two days ago. They intercepted a location linked to the Yamaju Organization, and it turned out to be one of their smuggling and trading bases. The police are currently working on taking them down. I thought Kudo might have mentioned it to you?"

"He didn't. The Meitantei didn't say a single word," Kuroba gripped his tablet tightly. "Who's in charge of the case?"

"Ah... Chef Inspector Nakamori, I believe... and if I recall correctly, it was Hakuba who provided that location, right? Anyway... Kuroba kun, isn't it a bit late now? Don't you have school? I remember this is your last week of high school, isn't it?"

"Yeah. Thanks, Inspector Megure." Kuroba thanked the Officers, though his mind was elsewhere.
It didn't make any sense.

How could Hakuba Saguru have such detailed evidence?

During the incident with Snake, Hakuba wasn't even there—he was in far-off London. And based on their recent conversations, it was clear Hakuba had only just caught up on the latest developments.

And as for Chief Inspector Nakamori's division... it was impossible. If the only reason they started investigating the Yamaju Organization was because of Kaitou Kid, then logically, their understanding of the group should be limited to what Hakuba Saguru knew.

As for the FBI and Interpol, they were mostly focused on investigating the Black Organization. And Yamaju was known for operating discreetly—aside from some questionable decisions, they kept a low profile.

So the real question remained: who provided this critical information?

Kuroba unconsciously walked through the school gates and looked up, locking eyes with Kudo Shinichi, who was leaning on the third-floor railing, watching the campus below. Kudo cracked a smile at him.

Below, petals fluttered along the streets, and the vibrant summer blooms scattered across the chaotic, noisy world filled with students passing by, calling out to Kuroba Kaito.