Part 49: On a stormy and rainy night, we kiss.

A heavy silence filled the air until Kuroba finally let out a long sigh. "So, what exactly do you want me to say?"

"You... don't have to say anything."

They walked in silence, only to find themselves standing face to face at the entrance of the police headquarters.

Outside, the sky was thick with dark clouds, thunder rumbling in the distance. Passersby tilted their heads upwards, wary of the impending downpour, hurriedly opening their umbrellas.

Kuroba sighed as he looked out at the brewing storm. He was the only one who had brought an umbrella, and there was no way he was going to let Kudo walk alone in the rain. Under that large black umbrella, two teenagers walked side by side, while the rain joyfully sang its rhythmic song.

"It's just a short walk, and I'm afraid the trains might stop. How about we walk back?" Kuroba Kaito suggested, trying to lighten the mood. Kudo simply nodded, saying nothing.

As they walked, the streets grew quieter and the night gradually deepened. Only a few drunken vagrants dashed under a bridge to escape the rain, disappearing around the corner.

They couldn't hail a taxi, and the power outage left the streets eerily deserted, save for the sound of rain and thunder.

Now, it seems like walking back on foot is not a good idea at all.

In the torrential downpour, they were the only two souls around. Suddenly, Kuroba's wrist ached, forcing him to drop the umbrella. The rain fell directly on them, he then quickly picked it up, but it did nothing to dispel the strange tension between them.

"Meitantei? What's... what's wrong with you?"

Kudo Shinichi looked up, hearing the familiar sound of evening bells. It was then that Kuroba Kaito realized they had unknowingly walked to Egota Clock Tower, a place filled with memories.

"Do you know where we are?" Kuroba Kaito asked, hoping that a story might save them from the awkward silence.

To his surprise, Kudo nodded. "It's where we first met."

Kuroba Kaito froze for a moment.

He had been about to say that this was where he first met Nakamori Aoko, where he had once encountered an incredible ally. He wanted to ask Kudo if he knew, but when Kudo spoke those words, Kuroba, ever perceptive, understood.

Meitantei, so it was you back then.

The realization hit Kuroba like a bolt of lightning. With a slight raise of his eyebrow, in an instant, one hand held the umbrella while the other pressed against Kudo's collarbone, pinning Kudo against the wall with the speed of light.

It was a mix of admiration, threat, surprise, and arrogance—a look Kudo knew all too well.

Whoever he was, Kuroba Kaito or Kaitou Kid, he wanted to tell Kudo Shinichi.......that......about last night......

"Meitantei, I..."

Before he could say more, Kid felt a sudden softness against the back of his head, followed by a firm but gentle pressure. His mind went blank.

Kudo Shinichi didn't know what came over him.

Perhaps it was the rain, its misty allure; perhaps it was the thunder, sparking a reckless impulse. Kudo found himself gripping the back of Kid 's neck, unable to resist.

As they stood there, their matching heights aligned, Kudo tilted his head and, drawn to those lips that so many women had longed for. He kissed Kid.