Part 52: Secret Message

During the break, Kudo Shinichi was dragged into the hallway by Kuroba. Watching as Kuroba Kaito carefully picked out desserts from the long table, Kudo sighed and muttered, "Ugh... Seriously, while all the other officers are exchanging information and discussing the case during the break, here you are, clutching a tray and heading straight for the buffet... Used to steal jewels, now you're after cakes?"

Kuroba set down the tongs, clearly exasperated. "No... The cakes here aren't even worth my effort."

"Hmph? Not worth it, huh? Maybe you should have a word with Suzuki Jirokichi, get him to sponsor this. Who knows? Next time you might have a Michelin pastry chef serve you chocolate mousse personally."

Kuroba pulled a face. "Hahaha, maybe I'll actually consider that. But, Meitantei, this... atmosphere here, well, it's not quite what I expected."

Kudo glanced at him, his eyes drifting to those thin lips. The image from last night vividly resurfaced in his mind, impossible to shake.

Calm down, Kudo Shinichi.

"What did you expect?" Kudo asked.

"I? I thought it would be more exciting, or at least more interesting," Kuroba replied, sipping the hot tea he held as they both returned to their seats.

Kudo shook his head. "When lives and cases are involved, it's not some thrilling adventure story. It needs to be handled seriously."

"Of course, I know that." Kuroba, always perceptive, knew how to switch to a professional and serious demeanor, perfectly playing the role of a detective when needed.

"By the way, wasn't Mouri-san supposed to invite you to a match yesterday?" Kuroba Kaito asked, his eyes still focused on his drink without looking up.

"Are you planning to hop on a rocket to get there, or are you just going to stand her up?" Kuroba teased.

Kudo's mouth fell open as he completely forgot about it. "Damn! I need to tell Ran not to wait for me. The match must have already started!"

He quickly set down his latte and fumbled for his phone. Kuroba silently observed, not saying a word.

"Uh? Ran! I'm sorry! I've still got a case to handle, I'm currently at a meeting at the police headquarters, so I won't be able to make it to your match. I'm really, really sorry."

Kuroba raised an eyebrow.

"Hey? Ran...? Huh? Nakamori Aoko? Sorry, did you just say Ran is already in the match? " The background noise on the other end was loud, filled with the cheers of the crowd and the referee's whistle. Kudo had trouble recognizing who was speaking, which is why he mistook it for Ran.

"Kudo! Yeah! She started about fifteen minutes ago and has already won three rounds, advancing to the next stage!" Aoko's voice was nearly drowned out by the noise, but Kudo spoke into the phone. "Really? That's great! Give Ran my congratulations, and please tell her I am so sorry for not being able to make it on time.but I've got to go now."

He hung up the phone, only to find Kuroba Kaito staring at him silently.

"What's up? Is something wrong?" Kudo Shinichi asked. Kuroba gave a tight smile, shook his head, and turned to walk away. Kudo furrowed his brow, but didn't chase after him.

At that moment, the meeting's moderators, Sato and Takagi, returned to the podium, announcing the start of the second half.

Kuroba Kaito slowly turned his head, only to find that Kudo, who was supposed to be sitting next to him, had already vanished.

Where did the Meitantei run off to now?

Whatever. Let him go wherever he wants.

After all, Kuroba wasn't like Ran, always chasing after Conan wherever he ran off to act like a babysitter. And technically, Kuroba had every right to be at police headquarters.