Part 40: I know how you can repay me

"Hey, you guys are here! Want to head back together?" Two female voices chimed in—it was Suzuki Sonoko.

"Sure," Kuroba agreed without a second thought, but Kudo interjected, "Sorry, this guy and I need to make a quick trip back to the police station."

"Then we'll go together and stop by to find Aoko," Sonoko said, pulling out her phone, completely oblivious to the subtle hints from Ran behind her. But whatever Ran was signaling, Kuroba's poker face gave nothing away, and Kuroba Kaito had never been the type to avoid confrontation.

On the walk, he naturally struck up a conversation with the two girls, prompting Kudo to interrupt, "I say, can't you talk about something else? Why is it always about sweets, cakes, and chocolate?"

Kuroba shot him a glare. "I was explaining the fermentation process of a sponge cake. If you think you can do better, be my guest."

Kudo apologized, and Kuroba fell silent.

"By the way, next Friday is the graduation party. Will you guys be attending?" Sonoko asked. Kudo exchanged a glance with Ran and forced a smile. He still hadn't sorted out his thoughts on how to explain things to Ran, let alone how to bring them up.

"I'm not going," Kuroba said, "I'll be here, dealing with some things. And besides... going to a dance with the wrong person isn't much fun."

"Why not invite Nakamori Aoko?" Sonoko asked with a playful smile, clearly trying to play matchmaker. Kudo sometimes found Sonoko quite admirable. Despite her own feelings, she was always a loyal friend, with a bold personality and straightforward style that made her likable. Kuroba smiled politely, "No, I'd rather not spoil everyone's fun."

"What are you talking about? If you go, maybe even some of the old alumni will return," Kudo teased, giving Kuroba's shoulder a shove. But Kuroba said, "I think being in school is one thing, but outside of it, it's just too ostentatious. I wouldn't want to cause trouble and end up making you clean up my mess."

Kudo paused. Kuroba was a master at concealing his emotions, and his poker face could be impenetrable. But you could sense his emotional shifts when his tone began to change, becoming more formal and reserved.

"Kid... what's wrong?" Kudo asked quietly. Kuroba raised an eyebrow, "Meitantei, you should spend more time with your girlfriend." He glanced at Aoko in the distance, pursing his lips. "I'll... catch up with you later."

From afar, Kudo couldn't hear what Kuroba and Aoko were saying. The rare smile on his face seemed to be reserved only for Aoko. The inaudible conversation left room for infinite magination, and Aoko's blushing face, paired with Kaito's increasingly flustered expression, made Kudo clench his fists much tighter.

Looking from a distance, they made a gorgeous couple,like they are meant for each other, setting aside their identities.

"Shinichi?! What are you looking at?" Ran curiously leaned in and also saw Kaito and Aoko across the building. She couldn't help but be surprised and delighted, "Oh my gosh, Aoko is amazing. She really confessed to Kaito."

The words struck Kudo like thunder. He barely managed to force out a few syllables, "Co... confessed?"

"Yeah," Ran said, completely unaware of Kudo's expression. "After Kaito went missing, she said that if he ever returned, she'd seize the moment and confess her feelings. Whether they end up together or not doesn't matter."

Kudo didn't need Ran to explain further. After all, he could read lips, and he saw what Aoko said to Kaito, "I'll wait for you. I'll wait forever."

#########

[Kaito, are... are you doing okay?]

Nakamori Aoko was still not used to seeing her childhood friend like this. Dressed in a dark blue suit, just as Ran had mentioned, Kuroba often borrowed Kudo Shinichi's identity as Kaitou Kid, but now, wearing his own name, he seemed even more constrained. Kaito is in a perfectly tailored suit, with a jarring metal cuff around his right wrist, making Aoko feel uneasy and uncomfortable.