Part 50:Pretending never happened

"Kudo? Is everything alright?" Hattori asked, carefully observing Kudo's expression before speaking,"What happened between you two yesterday? I almost went out with an umbrella to find you guys. I sent over twenty texts and made several calls, but no one answered!"

Kudo choked on his coffee. "Oh–Wha-What the......Why... Why did you send me so many texts? Are you out of your mind?"

"Didn't you see the big news? There was a huge downpour in Tokyo, and several trains and Shinkansen lines were suspended. By the way, why did you come back so late last night?" Hattori pressed for answers. "That incident happened around 9 PM, but you didn't get home until midnight. And none of my messages have been replied. "

Of course you jerk!

How could I ever reply to messages when I was too busy to......

"Hey, how do you know what time I came home last night? Weren't you with Toyama Kazuha at the Mouri Detective Agency yesterday?"Kudo asked with terror.

"Haibara Ai called me. Seriously, when I got her call, I thought something major had happened. She actually called?! Anyway, since Ran was calling you a bunch of times, Haibara waited until she was sure you two got home safely before calling back to let me know."

"Obviously, Haibara just doesn't call you," Kudo retorted, unimpressed.

"Did something happen between you two?" Hattori asked with a hint of gossip in his tone.

"What?! What nonsense are you spouting?" Kudo snapped, trying to cover his guilt with a low growl. Hattori's face lit up with curiosity. Woo—Wow!—this reaction! Could it be that Kudo actually... confessed without anyone knowing?

You dog.

If that's true, then that was fast! But would they really confess to each other? Two guys, wouldn't that be awkward?

Probably not, Hattori thought, as Kuroba, having finished changing, came downstairs, his expression unchanged as he greeted them good morning.

"Up so early? That's rare. It's only 6 AM," Kudo commented.

"What's for breakfast?" Kuroba asked. Kudo pointed at the fried eggs and patties. "Don't you usually skip breakfast?"

"I'm not planning to eat. But if anyone asks, it should be the same for both of us, right?" Kuroba smiled and went off to finish the rest of his documents.

Hattori glanced at the clock again. After Kuroba closed the door behind him, Hattori's jaw dropped. He wrapped his arm around Kudo's neck, forcing Kudo to come clean, "My oh my, Kudo, you... something definitely happened between you two. He's acting totally out of character."

Kudo rolled eyes at Hattori, warning him to keep quiet.

Grabbing his backpack, Kudo prepared to go find Kuroba. "Enough of this. I'm heading to school. You'd better go home too. We're almost graduating, and you keep running off to Tokyo like this. At the reunion in ten years, you'll be the guy standing on the edge of the group photos."

"Kudo... you're ruthless."

Yesterday's events seemed too natural, unsettlingly so. It was so natural that Kudo almost doubted whether last night had really happened. Kudo Shinichi hadn't thought much of it, but when he arrived at school and saw Mouri Ran and Sonoko, he remembered what Kid had said: "I'm already a sinner for the ages, but you, Meitantei—what do you think?"

They kissed. It wasn't a careless brush, or an accident, but a passionate embrace under the downpour, an unquenchable desire—not just curiosity, but a mutual craving to possess each other.