Part 14: It's time to forget

"Ladies and Gentlemen, It's showtime!"

What?!

That familiar tone, the familiar phrasing... Kuroba turned sharply, staring at the TV. It was indeed Kaitou Kid.

Impossible... How?

A terrifying thought crossed Kuroba's mind.

Could it be... him?

Only one person in the world... could do this.

Flawless methods, perfect performance, breaking through FBI and Japanese police defenses, reaching the final treasure trove. The traps and mechanisms meant nothing to "Kid," dismantled like mere scrap. The green gem on the Dionysus staff vanished without a trace.

With a dazzling spin, Kaitou Kid ditched the officers behind him using some unknown magic trick. A glimmer of green light played at his fingertips, then disappeared from the magician's hand.

"You... Stop right there! Kaitou Kid!!!" Inspector Nakamori shouted, but could only grit his teeth in frustration as the thief eluded him.

"Inspector Nakamori, long time no see." Kaitou Kid lowered his cylinder hat, bowing gracefully. Standing atop the mansion, he looked down upon the world with an air of arrogance and irreverence.

"Twenty years ago, we met in similar circumstances, you, me... Officer Nakamori, you haven't changed a bit. Or should I call you "Inspector" now?"

Nakamori chuckled darkly, "Of course... To catch you, I've given my all, day and night, without rest. I, Nakamori Ginzo, swear I'll catch you with my own hands."

"That won't do. I have unfinished business. Forgive me for not staying."

The same words, the same lines. Twenty years ago, on a similar dark, windy night, in a traditional Japanese garden, two passionate young men faced off.

"That's right, he is Kaitou Kid! Quick! Start the helicopter!"

The FBI was in chaos below. Kaitou Kid wasn't the type of criminal they usually dealt with, and his myriad unseen tricks left them in awe.

Hattori Heiji was stunned, completely forgetting about Kuroba Kaito. He quickly contacted Kudo, "Kid's on your side. Can you see him?"

"Yeah, I'm out of the surveillance room. Hattori... is Kuroba still there?"

"Huh? Yeah... of course he is... and like everyone else, he's watching TV... Kudo, could the Kid on your side be a fake? Hello? Kudo?"

Thwack!

A few playing cards knocked Kudo Shinichi's phone from his hand.

It was Kaitou Kid.

Tall and poised, the moonlight highlighted his elegant silhouette. With a mysterious smile, he bowed slightly, "Meitantei, you can't lose focus while chasing a criminal, that would be very rude of you, or did you simply not enjoy my performance?"

"Hmph," Kudo Shinichi smirked, unable to contain his excitement and madness, "I wasn't distracted... just verifying a friend's innocence. Now it's just us, Kaitou Kid."

Kaitou Kid leaped gracefully, spinning with his cape obscuring Kudo's view. Before Kudo could react, Kid manipulated something in the room, and Kudo felt the floor shift beneath him.

"I can't stay long."

More cards flew, sending several FBI agents to sleep. Kudo instinctively raised his elbow, blocking a few drugged cards, cold sweat dripping.

This time, Kaitou Kid seemed... unusually serious. No nonchalance, no playful teasing... This thief was cautious, elegantly mysterious, something felt off.