Chapter 12

I wandered through the newly remodeled house once again in the morning. The living room was no doubt airy and bright, decorated in pale blues and greens like the sky just after a storm. The hardwood floors were shining with a fresh coat of polish, the scent penetrating my nostrils in a comforting way.

Passing by the bathroom, I caught sight of myself in the large mirror hanging above the sink. I looked well-rested but stunned, like I'd been hit by a tractor trailer labeled romance.

In the spacious new kitchen, I set about making breakfast with my unfamiliar appliances. As I cracked eggs into a pan, I hoped their yolks wouldn't congeal into a horrifying yellow blob, a nightmare I'd had many times before involving monsters made of eggs. When toast popped up without incident, I breathed a sigh of relief and brewed a pot of coffee using the sleek new machine, grateful it didn't spontaneously combust.

Leo bounded into the kitchen as I plated our food, chattering a mile a minute about the car he'd spied through the window. "It's pink Mom! I love pink, it's my favorite color ever!" he gushed. I slid his toast and eggs across the counter, hoping to quell his excitement with sustenance. Boys, in my experience, were often placated by bread products.

As we drove to school in the convertible Leo had deemed "the coolest car ever," I smiled into the wind, feeling like Mary Tyler Moore tossing her hat. Leo's curls blew every which way in response to the breeze, resembling a startled dandelion more than a little boy. Other drivers craned their necks for a glimpse of us, and I wondered if they found the car or its passengers more fascinating. Perhaps they'd never seen a boy with hair acting as his own sail before.

But as we pulled into the school parking lot, my sails immediately deflated. Why? No doubt there was a sea of curious stares and not-so-subtle gossip. This was what I was fearing.

I spotted Sarah gossiping animatedly with her fellow PTA cronies, shooting me looks. Taking a cool deep breath, I squeezed Leo's hand. "Be brave, baby. I love you."

He nodded and hopped out, making a beeline for his friends. Turning to leave, I almost crashed into Sarah and her plastic smile.

"Well, well, Clara! Fancy new ride, I see. And is that...diamonds? A gift from your sugar daddy, I assume?" She simpered, reaching for the necklace. I stepped back stiffly.

Shit.

Note to self: Do not wear this necklace around town; just keep it for special occasions.

I rolled my eyes heavenward, as if some divine intervention might halt this interrogation. But God, it seemed, had more pressing matters to attend to.

"It was a gift," I said curtly. "From a friend."

"Must be some 'friend' to afford all this," she sniffed. "Don't go falling for any smooth talking men, dear, unless you want the whole town knowing your business. Reputations are so easily ruined around here."

"Oh don't worry about me," I retorted snidely. "I'll survive."

Best not to engage and give her more fuel for the rumor mill. I started toward the car, but felt a firm grip on my wrist and jerked away from Sarah.

Leo!

"What happened, baby? You okay? Oh my...you're bleeding!" I asked worriedly.

Leo looked down at himself and frowned.

"Mom..they", he was pointing a finger at the crowd, "were laughing at me! They called me a freak and told me not to come back-"

I hushed him softly, hugging him tightly and shushing him gently. I didn't want people to find out that he has this medical condition and start treating him like some sort of charity case because of it. It was too much pressure on him already. I hated that I had to shield Leo like this in Atlanta, where everyone knew that my baby had trisomy 21. He didn't deserve to feel ashamed in public over something he couldn't control.