Why we said yes - Ritilians

Like most Ritilian planets, Jormangar was of a temperate climate. Dry and arid, the reptilian species had emerged from its sand covered masses and entered the galaxy about 3000 years ago. A moderately influential race with a perchance for exploration, they were well known for their vast network of small colonies scattered around the galaxy, taking warmer locations that most species couldn't handle.

Zantari stood in the embassy that hung in the sky, the giant floating structure hovering over the great capital city below. Their taken form was a small cream-coloured bipedal reptile, dressed in airy white robes, to deal with the heat that even this room suffered from. They looked out of the large glass window that offered an enticing view of the entire sunlit land beneath them. While the Ritilians had long since left the sand dunes behind in favour of a bustling metropolis, the cultural impact of such a start to their species was clearly evident in their architecture.

Every structure faced the winds with sharp edges designed to cut against the sandstorms of old, a sea of matt white buildings more akin to sails stretching as far as the eyes could see, thousands of different buildings of varying sizes, from tall skyscrapers that reached to the heavens to older smaller single family dwellings that almost seemed to erupt from the ground.

The Ghirlinn had seen this before; the Ritilians were a known quantity, properly catalogued with politely maintained diplomatic relations. What interested them more were the changes. The impact of the Terrans since Zantari had been here last was clear, almost strikingly so. The square buildings that had been created by the primates stood out like a sore thumb, the small structures scattered around the city showing the impact the Terrans had had on the reptilian species over a mere 70 years.

Zantari was easily able to change their visual acuity to watch the people as they moved around the streets below them, meaning they got their first real life glimpse of the cute little primates known as Terrans. They were a minority, but a noticeable one, as they wandered around the city streets, interacting with the residents of this planet, and sunbathing in the various parks and pools that were scattered in-between the built-up city. Even watching them was adorable, the little munchkins getting into all kinds of trouble as Zantari watched from his seat miles above them in the sky.

I wonder if they like belly rubs. Their tummies look super patable...

The sound of the door opening caused Zantari to flinch guiltily as they were ripped out of their people watching and tummy rubbing thoughts. Continually reminding themselves that the Terrans were sentient beings was going to be a struggle during this assignment, but a struggle that would have to wait, as the Ritilian delegate they were meeting with finally entered the room.

The reptilian stood at around 5 feet tall, blue-green scales partially covered by the yellow and green striped uniform that denoted her as a member of the diplomatic staff. She hastily took a seat amongst the off-white professional looking furniture that denoted standard Ritilian decor, Zantari doing the same out of politeness and taking their own seat opposite the reptile.

"Greetings Ambassador Zantari. I do apologize for the delay, we weren't expecting a contact from the Ghirlinn, especially at such short notice. I'm diplomat Phallenia, and how can we be of aid to the Ghirlinn?"

Zantari could tell that the Ritilian was worried. Phallenia was hiding it well, but there was a small measure of nervous energy coming from the delegate. The Ritilians were generally pragmatic, and the most pragmatic thing a species could do was not angering a species far higher on the technological food chain than you were.

"No worries at all. We're just doing an audit of this area of the universe, and have a few questions about this grand alliance that you are a part of. Can you please explain about this 'Terran Alliance'?"