006

———————————————The red string theory

———————————————
The red string theory

" Do you believe in the red string theory? " The girl who had a visible golden glow asked him in earnestness.

Jungwon furrowed his brow, he did not expect the sudden question from the lass, especially when he realized that he was thinking hard about it even contemplating whether to answer honestly or not. 

But it's just a mere question of a theory. What's the point of lying, right? Therefore, he thought why not answer genuinely?

" I believe in them. As stupid as it sounds... I believe in such a thing. " He answered before sighing. " What's the point of hiding it when I'm faced with an angel? " He said, earning a chuckle from Haneul.

" You humans take cautious things humorously. Especially in this generation. " Haneul admitted with a light-hearted tone, her attempt at humor making Jungwon's brow furrow in confusion.

" Anyway, back to what I was saying, " Haneul said, straightening her posture and facing him directly. " Yes, the red string theory is proven. And believe it or not, I can see anyone who has the red string wrapped around their ring finger. " She glanced at Jungwon's ring finger, her eyes lingering for a moment.

" What I don't understand is why..." She paused, searching his face before continuing, " I don't see yours. "

Jungwon couldn't believe what he was hearing. Although he had always prioritized chasing his dreams to secure his future, deep down, he knew that someday he'd want to be committed to someone. What's the point of living when there's no certainty from your other half? 

He searched something in her eyes, hoping what she had said was just a joke to make him feel awful, but no. The lack of humor in her face says it all.

Jungwon bit the inside of his cheek. " Is that so...? Is that a bad thing? Is there any way I could make it appear? " He asked, his voice tinged with concern.

He didn't know why he was nervous and hesitant to ask that. Maybe he wasn't ready to hear the answer, but somehow, this girl in front of him had a way of making him consider things he'd never thought about before.

Haneul inhaled deeply, her gaze steady. " It's not necessarily bad, " she began, her voice carrying a calm assurance. " It might mean you haven't met them yet, or... maybe my powers are just glitching. "

Jungwon's shoulders sagged slightly, his gaze falling to the table. He muttered a soft, " Oh " and traced the edge of his uniform with a distracted finger. The idea of Chaerin not being the one seemed to settle heavily in his mind, casting a shadow over his expression.

" How about Chaerin? Who is she tied to? " He hesitated but was eager to know.

Haneul knew he would ask that. After all, she intended to let him know.

Haneul's sigh seemed to carry the weight of her words. She looked away, her eyes dropping to the floor as if to escape the truth. " I saw hers, " she said quietly. Her fingers fidgeted with the hem of her sleeve as if trying to find solace in the fabric. " She's fated with Heeseung. Her ex-boyfriend. "

Jungwon felt his heart drop, almost not believing it but who even was he to deny that? The angel already said so herself.

Jungwon drew in a deep breath, his lips pressed tightly together. He exhaled slowly, letting a faint smile tug at the corners of his mouth. " I kind of expected that answer, " He said, his gaze steady as he looked at Haneul. " Thanks for making it clear. " His smile widened, though it barely reached his eyes.

Haneul did not see that coming at all. She felt the air shift earlier when she started telling him that the girl he likes is fated to his ex-boyfriend and his silence made her regret revealing that.

However, the moment she met his eyes all she could figure out was the acceptance written all over his face. It was as if the air-shifting thing from earlier was just messing with her.

She replied, " You're not upset? " Noticing the small smile that formed his lips, she didn't know why she asked that, but she still wanted to make sure.

He replied, " I'm not a human if I told you I am not. " He shrugged. " I admit that for a moment I don't want to believe you. I don't want to accept what you said. But thinking about it again, it makes sense that she's fated with Heeseung. " He acknowledged, relieved that it was Heeseung and not some other guy.

His shared thoughts made Haneul appreciate it. She was pleading with Cupid to make him her soulmate right now because of how mature he was. Not to mention that she has a huge crush on the boy.

The both of them went back to the classroom, chatting with each other, as well as teasing here and there, earning a few whispers and looks from the other students that Haneul took good care of by using her powers which resulted in Jungwon scolding her. But she was satisfied with what she did. Proud almost.

The matters seem to cease in a more satisfying one. But who knew that the next events would turn into something unexpected?

———————————————
AUTHOR'S NOTE :

This chapter is shorter than me-