Chapter 5: Phantom Thief

Elryria

After Bray died everything changed. When I said that from then on it would just be me and Klaus I meant it. Never again would I grow attached to anyone. Nor would I care what happened to people I interacted with. All I cared about was my safety and in turn Klaus's. I soon found out what being a witch was really about. I was now Klaus gateway to the real world. If I died he would be cut out. That's why he didn't have a form when I met him. It also meant that because he didn't have to have only one form. He could change into anything he wanted. He likes his fox form the most though. He says it feels like his first form whatever that means.

Another thing about being a witch is that I'll never age. I am frozen at 16 for the rest of my life. Mages do the same but each at a different age. So you could have a mage that was over 500 years old and look 10 years old. Klaus power also comes from me so if I am not strong he won't be. The first thing I did after Bray died was I started to get stronger. Maybe if I had stronger I could have saved him. Never mind that. It took time and lots of sleepless nights. I realized my best power was I could practically vanish. Not to mention that I had gotten stronger physically as when as magically. Klaus and I decided that the best thing to do was to be a thief. I was already good and pickpocketing and lockpicking.

Soon we had gotten a reputation as the Phantom Thief. I was named that because no one ever saw us. People wanted to employ me to steal for them so I had to create an identity named Phantom. With my mouth covered with a black cloth and my magic turning my eyes red I looked like a demon. My clothes were tight and black as well. I had a knife hidden away but I had my magic so I was mostly covered.

Once I figured out how to sneak in and out of the Overworld I really became popular. Known by everyone in the country, I was almost as known as the Elites. Speaking of the Elites, four years after Bray joined Mortem they called on me to do a job. A mission is what the Admiral said in his letter. I waited for him in the spot he told me to but out of sight. He could be a fake. I wasn't sure at first either. He was tiny with bright blond hair. He barely looked my age let alone 26. I watched him for awhile before deciding to show myself. He was cross that I was late and he dragged me through the city. He pulled me into a tiny underground room and introduced me. Somehow he knew my real name much to my surprise and anger. I wanted to stay unknown but I guess it's too late now.

In said underground room there were four others. The General and Chief of course and then the two that will be coming on my mission. An idiot boy named Lun whose attitude was a bad as my own. He obviously had thought he was doing this alone as I did. He looked pissed as he stood to go to bed glaring at Chief. He took out a cigarette from his jacket pocket and lit it. He glared at me again his green eyes murky in the lamp light.

The other was a little girl named Mera. She couldn't be more than 14. Her hair was a shocking white and her eyes red. Unlike my fake eyes these were all too real as she was a vampire. She carried a sword that was 10 times too big for her and must of been for show. She was the only one that smiled when I entered unless you count the Chief's smirk. She wore a white button up with a vest over top. Her pants were black and she wore boots. I wouldn't have been surprised if people mistook her for a boy.

These two won't be able to help me at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I rose early expecting to be the only one awake. Alas I was wrong. The girl Mera was awake and looking over a piece of paper.

"What are you doing up at this ungodly hour?" I said sitting up from my makeshift bed. She doesn't even jump at the sound of my voice. Instead she turns to look at me

"Oh I've been awake for hours" she replied "I have bad dreams so I don't sleep for very long"

"At least you're a vampire so you don't really need sleep" I replied standing up and walking over to her