36 - Operation Liberation

-Izuku's POV-

I stared at Kirishima's outstretched hand, my mind a whirlwind of conflicting emotions. I wanted nothing more than to go out there and save Tatsuya, to right the wrongs of my failure. However, I also understood where Iida came from as he tried dissuading Kirishima and Todoroki. After Stain crippled his brother, Iida sought revenge against the Hero Killer but ended up with nerve damage to his arm. I knew Iida didn't want us to face a similar fate. His concern was palpable, and the weight of responsibility we all carried as aspiring heroes felt heavier than ever.

"So, let me get this straight," Ashido interjected, her voice tinged with nervousness as she tried to make sense of Kirishima's plan. "You're going to get Momo to make you another receiver, track a bad guy, and then try to save Akiba all by yourselves?"

"Yeah," Kirishima nodded, his expression resolute. The determination in his eyes was unwavering, reflecting the same fiery spirit that had led him to this decision.

"The villains who attacked the camp planned to kill some of us, but they took Akiba alive," Todoroki stated, his voice steady yet carrying an undercurrent of urgency. "What we don't know is how long they'll let him live. That's why we're going after him."

"Have the two of you lost your minds?!" Iida exclaimed, his voice pitching as disbelief and anger contorted his features. His hands were clenched into fists at his sides, and the usually calm and collected person we knew seemed on the verge of losing his composure.

"Hey, calm down," Shoji interjected, his voice a soothing contrast to the tension in the room. He looked toward Iida with understanding. "I get how frustrated Kirishima is and how Todoroki feels since he couldn't grab Bakugo. I'm upset, too." Shoji then created a mouth on the end of one of his arm-like tentacles. "But we can't let our emotions get the best of us, right?"

Todoroki stared at him silently, his expression thoughtful as if considering Shoji's words. On the other hand, Kirishima looked away, his brow furrowed and his jaw set, unable to reply.

"Um, we should just leave this to All Might," Aoyama chimed in, his voice slightly wavering as he glanced nervously around the room. Beads of sweat glistened on his forehead, and his eyes darted from one classmate to another, searching for agreement.

"Mr. Aizawa only gave us permission to fight and use Quirks at the training camp," he added, his usual flamboyant demeanor subdued by the gravity of the situation. It was clear that even Aoyama, with his love for flair and spectacle, was deeply unsettled by the recent events.

"Aoyama is correct," Tokoyami agreed, his tone somber and reflective. "Though, I'm part of the reason we failed. So, I can't talk." Guilt weighed heavily in his voice as if he were carrying a burden he couldn't shake off despite knowing that circumstances were beyond his control.

"You guys!" Kirishima exclaimed, his voice filled with frustration. His gaze swept over the group, searching for support, his hand clenching into a fist by his side. His eyes burned with determination, unwilling to accept the helplessness that threatened to overwhelm us all.

"Listen," Tsuyu piped in, her voice calm yet firm. Her eyes held a seriousness that commanded attention, cutting through the emotional turmoil swirling around us. "We're all shocked that Akiba was taken from us, but we have to be rational. It doesn't matter how noble your intentions are. If you go out there trying to find the bad guys, knowing you're breaking the rules, then you're acting like villains, not heroes."

The room was filled with an uncomfortable silence as we all grappled with the weight of our emotions and the harsh reality of our situation. It was a heavy, suffocating silence filled with unspoken fears and doubts. The tension was palpable, each of us lost in our thoughts, struggling to find a way forward. Finally, the silence was broken by a soft, unexpected knock on the door, drawing our attention and breaking the spell of uncertainty that had settled over us.