Evil Duplicates

"W-What do you mean we're in a video game?!" You panicked, letting go of the man's ear in the process. "No, that can't be! I'm dreaming! That's it, I... I'm dreaming!" You held your head in your hands. "I'm losing it! Wake up!"

"A video game..." The man pressed his hand against his head. "This is insane."

The girl nodded understandingly. "I know this is a shock to you. It was a shock for the others as well-"

"There are others?" You asked before the man did. "Where?!"

She thought about it. "I believe I still have one of them in my house. The others went on their journey already."

"Can you take us to your house?" The man asked.

She smiled and nodded. "Of course. I'm Amelia by the way."

The man nodded. "I'm Cry."

You inflated your cheeks. "Scarlet." You said, not taking the chance on telling them your real name yet.

"Nice to meet you Cry and Scarlet." Amelia said. "Let's go to the house. The village is just a short walk away." You followed her down the green field.

"I'll be watching you." You say to Cry when you noticed he seemed a bit quiet for your liking.

"I wasn't thinking about that." He groaned.

You shrugged. "I don't trust you."

"Right back at you, friend."

-----

"This is my house." She smiled. It was a small wooden house, but fit the village. That place was the kind of village where farmers in video games would live in.

You guys entered the house. It was pretty decent. There was a small kitchen in the back, and two guest rooms. She led you to one of the guest rooms and opened it, revealing a dirty blonde Swedish man splayed across the bed in a bored position.

"Pewds! Is that you?!" The Swedish man looked up at Cry and a huge smile sprang across his face.

"Cry!" He jumped off the bed and ran over to his Cry, hugging him. "I'm so glad to see you!" He let go of his friend and noticed Cry was wearing a mask. "Why are you wearing your mask?"

Cry shrugged. "After recording my video I was planning on taking a walk outside."

The man known as Pewds shook his head. "No one knows what you look like, Cry. I don't think you need to worry about taking a walk outside without a mask."

"Hey," Cry shrugged. "You never know."

Pewds looked over at you and noticed you had a shine in your eyes while your mouth was covered by your own hand. You slowly took your hand off of your mouth and whispered/squealed, "You're PewDiePie!"

"Yup!" He said proudly. "It's actually Felix, but that works, too!"

You smile genuinely for the first time since you arrived in this crazy place. "I'm Scarlet."

"Scarlet?" You nod. Pewds put a finger on his chin in thought. "I think I've heard that name from somewhere."

"Um... Maybe you used to know another Scarlet before."

Pewds shrugged. "Maybe."

Amelia cut in and said, "Sorry to ruin this reunion but I need to explain the details of what's going on." You all nodded and sat on the bed as Amelia stayed standing. "As I said before, this world is called Virusity. We aren't exactly a viral video game. We were made by a virus."

"Made by a virus?" You questioned. "What do you mean made by a virus?"

She nodded and said, "There's a certain virus called Duplicates. They aren't exactly... Good. Most viruses would simply crash your computer. This virus is different. With this virus, they duplicate popular YouTubers and try to take over their lives. In order to do that, they needed to create a video game, but they had to keep a low profile so they won't attract attention. Instead, they made a virus that automatically adds itself into one of your video games. Once you open that video game, that virus takes action and sucks you into Virusity."

"So..." Pewds said. "Basically they're evil electronic virus clones of us and they're trying to take over our lives?"

'You could say that, yes." Amelia nodded. "Although, unlike most viruses, these viruses have a conscience. That's why they want to take over your lives."

"This is a load of crap." Cry said, shaking his head.

Amelia smiled sadly. "I'm sorry you think that way, but it's the truth."

"So..." You said. "Are you an NPC; a non personal character?"

"It's actually a nonproliferation center, but yes. The viruses created us just so it's an actual video game, but they created us with  a conscience. It was decided that I'd be the NPC that tells the details to any new humans that enter the game."

"Well, I'm really grateful you're helping us." You smile. "I'm sure these two are glad as well." They nodded in agreement.

"That's nice of you to say." She smiled. She turned serious again and said, "There's one other thing. There's only one way out of here. You have to go to Virus Central. There are lots of monsters blocking your way to there-"

"WOAH, WOAH. WAIT!" You said loudly. "Did you just say monsters?"

"Yes," Amelia nodded. "This is just like any other video game with monsters, items, equipment, potions- Basically anything you'd find in your everyday video game."

"Do we have more than one life at least?"

She shook her head. "Once you die in here, you die for real, and the virus takes over your life."

"This is crazy." You mutter. "Insane. I'm done! I'll just live here! Let it take over my life!"

"You see, it doesn't work that way." Amelia said hesitantly. "You have to die in order for them to take over your life." Before you could complain any further she put a hand up. "Let me explain. Once you die in this video game, the virus takes over your dead brain cells and uses it to kill off any memories of any loved ones. After that, it does as it pleases in the real world." You lower your head. This was too much for you to bare. "In order to kill your duplicate virus, you need to be the highest level in this video game, which is level one hundred and fifty." She handed you each a white watch and a bag. "These watches will help keep score of your level and experience points. You can store any item in your bag as long as it isn't full." She looked at the three of you. "Is there any more questions?'

"Yes," Cry said, standing up. "Where's the nearest weapon and armory store?"

-----

"This is bullshit." You said as you got a wand. Before the three of you left Amelia asked what job you'd each like. Cry decided to be a swordsman, Pewds is an assassin, and you're a magician. She gave each of you a skill book, as well as one hundred gems for each of you to help you get started. "I'm not taking this crap! I'm going to stay here!"

"That'll make you an easier target." Cry said as he tested his sword by slashing it through the air.

"I don't care!" You cried. You looked over at Pewds, who was asking the salesman for throwing knives. "I'm not even that popular on YouTube! What am I doing here?!"

"Just stop complaining." Cry said, rolling his eyes even though you couldn't see them.

"You rolled your eyes at me, didn't you!" You scolded.

"Yup! Got a problem, mother?"

"Ugh!" You yelled. "You are SO annoying!"

Pewds walked up to you guys. "Alright, I'm ready to go!"

"Well, I'm not going. I'll stay at Amelia's house, thank you." You turned around and started walking to Amelia's when suddenly you felt two arms intertwine around yours as you felt yourself being dragged farther away from Amelia's house. "No! I don't want to go! I'll die out there! Let me goooooo!"