You're Crying

Before me sat a tiny girl. SHe was sitting al by herself, I felt really bad for her, no one seemed to have enough time for her, sure maybe a few seconds were spared, but not many more. I slowly walked up to her and knelt beside her. She was a little startled at my presence, but she smiled a few seconds later, "Hello, Jordan." Being alone, she still has the ability to be happy and cheerful. It made me smile.

"Hey, Brooke. How are you?" She smiled a little as I asked her. She wasn't neglected, her family just seemed to bew too busy to play with her.

"I'm good. How about you?"

"Very good." I could see it in her blue eyes, she wanted me to hang out with her, but she wasn't going to ask; expecting me to blow her off like everyone else so kindly had. Being five years older than her, she also expected me to say no because I was too cool for her. "May I join you?" I asked for myself instead of letting her think that I didn't enjoy her company.

I swear I saw her eyes brighten at my question.

She nodded happily, "Of course!" I nodded and fully sat down beside her on the grass ouside of her house. She was just looking up at the sky; enjoying nature.

We had hung out quite a bit for the last year . . . So we had become pretty good friends. We talked a lot whenever I came over to her house to hang out with her older brother Nate. She was really cool for being an eleven year old, which I didn't quite understand. Shouldn't you get more attention when you're mature for your age? Guess not. "Still like Jake?" I asked softly.

She shrugged beside me and spoke, "A little. He's kind of a jerk really. I mean, I'm always nice to him and always do what he wants, and then he turns around and acts like a complete jerk to me. LIke, I don't even matter to him. Do I?" Brooke always seemed to crush on the wrong guys, I wasn't really sure why though. There were plently of nice and respectful boys out there, I'm sure.

I sighed quietly and thought for a few short moments, "You can't really stop yourself from liking someone, but maybe you could try to surround yourself with other people. Try avoiding him, don't give him a chance to ask you for anything. The less you interact with him, the more likely you'll be to fall away from him." Brooke had developed a comfort for talking to me about her crushes and problems; which I loved! I loved helping her through her problems, it made me feel good.

She nodded and smiled, "Thanks, Jordan. Why is it that we crush on jerks? I know so many nice boys, yet I always end up likely the jerks that probably don't even know that I exsist."

"I don't really know. It could be because when we were all younger, well, when girls are younger, their parents and everyone else told them that when a boy picked on them or hit them it meant that they liked them. Maybe on some occasions that would be true, but they've heard it so many times that when they grew up, they think that the jerks like them because they're always mean to them." I tried explaining to her. I did'nt really understand why girls always liked the jerks.

"Oh. Why do they tell us that if it's not true and it just ends up making us like mean boys?" Her questions were getting harder for me to answer and it made me feel bad that I couldn't give her all the answers that she wanted.

I shrugged, "I'm not quite sure, Brooke." She nodded with a light smile on her face,

"Thanks, Jordan. Got any girls that you like?" She asked jokingly. I chuckled at her and shrugged.

"Nope."

"Why not?"

"No one interests me right now, I guess." She nodded. "Brooke?"

"Yeah?"

"I heard a song a little while ago and it reminded me of you. Do you want to hear it?" A grin appeared upon her face and nodded,