Sweet Six (Picture of Jay)

A few months had passed by and it was now Brooke's birthday, she was turning sixteen today. It was Saturday so no one had school and Nate and I didn't have college, so Brooke could have everyone to herself without them being busy. I was excited to go to her party because I had bought her something that she'd really like, I could just imagine the thankful look on her face. It was a sterling silver bracelet with 'best friends' engraved on it. The part that clasped it together was a silver heart with gold etching in it, I knew she'd like it. 

Everyday we talked and hung out, allowing the two of us to adjust to her new growing maturity. She was acting older and how a woman acted, but she still had that sweet young side to her too, which I loved. I still think that she liked me though, which didn't make my guilt or regret go down one bit. 

I was at my house, getting ready to head over to her party at eight o'clock. I threw on a short sleeved plaid over shirt, on top of my white wife-beater then pulled on a pair of my ripped jeans. I ran my hands through my hair a few times before I grabbed a pair of my white shades from my dresser; I fastened them on my face and looked in the mirror. Nice... I jogged into the kitchen and opened the fridge, debating whether to eat now at five o'clock or wait until I got to Brooke's house.....eh what the heck I got time. I tossed my shades onto the counter for right now and rummaged through the fridge to see what I could eat. 

After burning almost all of my food that I had in the house, I gave up and settled on waiting, it'll be worth it. Brooke's mom was probably the best cook in the entire world. Just thinking of the food that she made I grew hungrier and I was beginning to suffer. I stared at the clock for about a half a minute before groaning and throwing my hands up in the air in frustration. I was so bored! I snapped my fingers when I came up with an idea. I rushed to my bedroom and carried my stereo out into the living room and plugged it in then followed suit by plugging my phone into the speakers. Cranking the volume up as loud as that bad boy would go, I played my Puddle of Mudd playlist. It had all of their best songs on it. Blurry, Control, She hates me, Psycho, Famous, Away from me, etc. It was amazing how they sounded. I plopped down on the couch and closed my eyes, letting the sound of the band rolling throughout the room and in my ears. I had literally lost track of time...

When you can't seem to find your way home,

And when life gets too hard,

To face on your own,

I will stand as a light through your darkest unknown, 

I will walk with you,

So you're never alone,

Never alone,

Never alone,

Never alone....

My eyes snapped open, realizing that that wasn't Puddle of Mudd at all, it was Brooke's ringtone. I looked at my phone and sure enough, Brooklynn. I chanced a look at the clock on my phone, eight twenty-seven.... Oh am I dead! I was quick to answer the phone and waited for her yelling, "Jordan? Where are you?" Her voice wasn't angry, it was rather a little playful, the only time that she ever got mad at me was when I was taking her to school. 

"I am on my way....I'm actually just outside your driveway..." I jumped up and unplugged my speakers from the wall and snatched my shades into my hand from the counter and put them on my face. 

"Don't lie to me."

"How do you know that I'm lying?" 

She chuckled, "Because I'm standing outside right now...unless your car turned invisible, you're not here."