12. Panic attack

▪︎▪︎▪︎

▪︎▪︎▪︎

"How could you forget this important thing, Karthi?" A loud feminine voice boomed in the office, causing all eyes to turn toward the source of the voice.

There stood the other members of the special team: Trisha, Nayna, and Ritik. All of their gazes were fixed on the disheveled Karthi, who had just come running all the way to the office to reveal the forgotten clue of the case.

Karthi stood there bewildered, thinking, 'When did they come in?' Then she replied to her own question, 'Must have come in when I ran in like a mental patient.' She giggled to herself internally. 'Means they might have heard me.' And gasped dramatically. 'Focus, Karthi. Focus.'

The one who spoke earlier was Trisha. She, along with the others, had heard everything, and before anyone could say anything, she blurted out, "How can you be so irresponsible, Karthi? This could be an important thing related to the case." She spat in fury.

Everyone present in the cabin was looking at her. Some were confused by her sudden outburst, while others were bewildered. Karthi looked down, feeling a slight guilt for not remembering and revealing such an important point.

"Ms. Bhatt, what's with your behavior and words? You are not supposed to burst out on anyone like this, being a lawyer," Ishaan spoke in a calm yet stern voice.

"But sir, isn't she supposed to remember this? She's been slacking a lot these past few weeks. She doesn't listen when we are speaking, and if we say something, she escapes muttering a sorry. She should not be in this team and case if she behaves like this," Trisha accused, her tone hinting at frustration and anger. "Why is she even in the team still, after everything she's done? She's been on leave for a week, doesn't answer work calls, messages, or emails."

Not only Karthi but everyone was surprised hearing Trisha. They could not believe someone had complaints about Karthi because Karthi was anything but what Trisha described.

Kabir and Ishaan were also stunned, not because of Trisha's outburst but because Karthi was silent all the time. The Karthi standing in front of them was not the one they had known.

The Karthi they knew was strong-minded, emotionally strong, loving, with anger always sitting on her nose, and would snap at anyone if irritated. But the one standing in front of them now was vulnerable, emotionally weak, mentally exhausted, and anxious in certain situations. And they knew that her being this changed, they were also responsible in some way.

Karthi was trying hard to control her tears, but the once-closed wounds were cut open again. All the voices from her nightmares were booming in her ears once again. She tried her best to avoid them, but they only became louder.

She stumbled upon her steps and fell to her knees with a loud thud, her palms covering her ears, trying to stop the loud echoes of the people. Her tear-stricken face, red nose, and a little blood coming out of her nose scared everyone.