19

The dim glow of a single hanging bulb cast eerie shadows across the room, illuminating the stark contrast between the sterile walls and the grim situation unfolding. Giovanni, tied to a chair, bruised and exhausted, squirmed under the oppressive heat of the light. Markus, his interrogator, stood before him, eyes cold and calculating.

"Tell me about Diablo’s weaknesses and secrets," Markus demanded, his voice a chilling calm.

Giovanni, confusion etched across his face, stammered, "I-I don’t know anything important. Diablo has kept me sheltered, away from all his business."

Markus's frustration was palpable as he paced around the room, the sound of his boots echoing off the walls. He stopped suddenly, a new thought dawning on him. Giovanni watched, fear tightening his chest as Markus's expression shifted from frustration to realization.

"You’re more valuable than you think," Markus muttered, almost to himself. He turned back to Giovanni, a sinister smile curling his lips. "Your existence alone is leverage."

Giovanni's heart pounded. "What do you mean?"

Markus leaned in close, his breath hot on Giovanni's face. "Harming you or your unborn child would create chaos in the mafia world. Diablo would retaliate, and it would be war."

The threat hung heavy in the air. Giovanni's mind raced, fear gripping him as he thought of his unborn baby, a precious life caught in a web of deceit and danger.

Markus sat across from Giovanni, the room silent except for the faint hum of the lightbulb. The wheels in Markus's mind turned, considering his next move. Giovanni’s fear was palpable, but it wasn't information he needed—it was Giovanni's mere presence that was the real weapon.

"You’re going to be our bargaining chip," Markus declared, breaking the silence. "Alive and unharmed, you’re more valuable than any secret you could tell me."

Giovanni stared at Markus, a mix of relief and dread washing over him. He was safe, for now, but his value was a double-edged sword that could cut him at any moment.

Later that evening, Giovanni was moved to a holding cell. The room was small, dimly lit, but slightly more comfortable than the interrogation room. As he sat on the narrow cot, the door creaked open, and a young man was pushed inside.

Victor, his eyes downcast, shuffled into the room. He was slender, with an air of quiet resignation. Giovanni recognized the look—they were both omegas, bound by circumstances beyond their control.

Victor began tending to Giovanni's wounds, his touch gentle but efficient. As he worked, Giovanni asked, "Why are you here?"

Victor paused, glancing up with a sad smile. "My parents owed a debt to Markus. When they couldn’t pay, he took me as payment."

Giovanni felt a pang of empathy. "I’m sorry."

Victor shrugged, the motion almost indifferent. "It’s the way of this world. But we omegas...we find strength in each other."

As Victor applied a fresh bandage, Giovanni winced and asked, "How long have you been here?"

Victor sighed, his eyes reflecting a deep sadness. "Six months. It's...not as bad as it could be. Markus uses me to tend to prisoners and do other small tasks. It keeps me safe, relatively."

Giovanni nodded, understanding the unspoken implication. "We have to stick together," he said softly. "It's the only way we'll survive this."

Victor's eyes softened with gratitude. "Yes. We'll watch each other's backs."

They sat in silence for a moment, the weight of their situation pressing down on them. Giovanni broke the silence, his voice barely above a whisper. "Do you think there's a way out of here?"

Victor looked thoughtful. "Escape? It's risky. Markus has eyes everywhere. But...if we find the right moment, maybe. We'll need to be patient and plan carefully."

Giovanni's mind began to race with possibilities. "We could gather information, look for weaknesses. Maybe even find allies among the other prisoners."

Victor nodded slowly. "Yes, that could work. We'll need to be discreet, though. Markus is not a forgiving man."

Giovanni's resolve hardened. "We'll do whatever it takes. For our freedom, and my child."

Victor's eyes flickered with a spark of hope. "We'll find a way, Giovanni. I promise."

Giovanni and Victor formed a bond, their shared plight bringing them closer together. They exchanged whispered conversations in the dead of night, plotting their escape and gathering whatever scraps of information they could.