CHAPTER 29: The Last First Day

September 1st, 1892

September 1st, 1892

In the blink of an eye, the summer break was over and I was at the Great Hall again.

That was my last first day at Hogwarts, as a 7th-year student - exciting, yet bittersweet. It had only been 2 years since my life turned upside down with the discovery of the wizarding world, but at the same time, it felt like a lifetime worth of experiences. In the back of my mind, moments like these made me feel like I was constantly running out of time. So much to learn, so much to do, and so little time.

"Attention, attention. Very best of evenings to you all," Headmaster Black initiated his announcements. "It is my distinct pleasure to extend a courteous welcome to all returning students and an especially solemn greeting to our new students. Now, without further ado, let us proceed with the Sorting Ceremony."

I let his voice fade to the background as I helped myself with dinner.

Summer might have helped cure me from heartbreak to some extent, but my stomach still churned from the inner tension and anxiety that veiled the start of the new term.

Taking the Hogwarts Express had been an entirely different experience from last time - Natty and I shared a compartment with Duncan Hobhouse, Zenobia Noke and Everett Clopton. We were lucky to find those spots, because I wouldn't have dared knocking on the closed door of a certain last compartment, where a faint red light was glowing inside. To match the gloomy mood, the atypical humid climate brought heavy summer storms, blocking any chance to glimpse the Highlands' landscapes during the ride.

My attention drew back to the Headmaster as he mentioned our class.

"Seventh-year students shall be assigned to advanced classes based on their N.E.W.T. performances. Should you not have received your schedule, it is imperative that you contact the staff without delay. Now, concerning the Yule Ball formalities, all graduating students are expected to report to the organizing committee no later than the end of September for RSVP. Formal invitations will be dispatched in November."

"I just can't believe that we are finally having our Yule Ball!" Cressida clapped her hands together in excitement. "I've been waiting for it since our first year!"

Natty raised an eyebrow. "A ball? Why am I only hearing about it now?"

"That would be the formal dance for graduating students only, meaning that we are only attending now as 7th years..." Nellie attempted to put on a nonchalant expression, but her voice gave away her anticipation.

"Oh, there is way more to it, my dear ladies." Garreth chimed in. "The Yule festivities is an ancient tradition. I suppose none of you have ever heard about the Triwizard Tournament?"

Confused eyes unanimously answered him.

"Well, it was a friendly, yet extremely dangerous competition the wizarding schools held. Long story short, many students were unalived during such events, so the tournament was discontinued. But that is not the point. The Yule Ball used to be the formal celebration of comradery between the schools, but Hogwarts kept the tradition of holding the dance for graduating students!"