Chapter 3.4 || TOGETHER - Part 1

I run as fast as I can through the submerged building, with the old Fireflies and the WLF on my tail. Shadows dance around me, creating an oppressive atmosphere. I lean against a moss-covered wall, catching my breath and making sure no one is around. I am completely out of breath. My lungs feel like they are on fire. My thoughts are racing in my head, plunging me into a whirlpool of anxiety and despair. I think about Ellie, Abby, my father, Joel. I am fed up. All the people I know are no longer by my side, their faces haunt my memories. I have an overwhelming urge to cry and scream with all my might, to release the pain that grips me. Despite this, a tear escapes my eyes, sliding slowly down my dirty cheek. I take the time to breathe deeply several times before focusing on the situation. I absolutely need to get out of here and find some safety. I scan the area, gripping my weapon tightly, my fingers trembling with fear and determination, before taking a step. I don't have time to leave when a hand suddenly clamps over my mouth, stifling my cry of surprise, while the other hand grabs my weapon, disarming me instantly. The person pulls me a few steps back, their warm breath against my ear, and whispers something.

— It's me...

I recognize the voice: Ellie. She loosens her grip slightly, allowing my breathing to calm a bit, although my heart continues to race.

— Ellie! I whisper, relieved.

I turn quickly, my eyes shining with a mix of worry and relief.

— I've been looking for you everywhere, she says, her voice trembling. I didn't know if you were still alive.

I hold her close, feeling her warmth and familiar smell comforting me despite the situation. She is covered in blood, with a machete and a pistol.

— I'm here. I'll never leave you.

Tommy and Joel, alert, signal us to keep moving.

— We don't have time to waste. Ellie, did you find an exit? Tommy asks.

She nods.

— Yes, there's an emergency exit nearby.

I smile, relieved, at Joel and Tommy, and we nervously slip through the corridors, each step bringing us closer to freedom. Hope is revived in me, fueled by Ellie's presence by my side. Tommy and Joel move ahead while she grabs my wrist and looks at me intensely. Her gaze is filled with worry and sadness.

— We'll make it, Ellie whispers, holding my hand. Together.
— Yes.

She hugs me again until Joel tells us to move on. Our steps lead us to a door that we all go through, but a voice suddenly shouts behind us.

— Stop right now! the voice screams.

Isaac, still injured by Abby, stands there, breathing heavily, a hand pressed against a bleeding wound. James emerges from the shadows with Abby, injured and covered in blood. My breath catches when he roughly pushes Abby to the ground. Ellie instinctively steps in front of me, ready to protect me at all costs.

— Lilianna, come with me and I'll let her go.
— Don't listen to him, Lilianna!
— Shut up.

With the little strength he has left, he delivers a brutal kick to Abby's stomach and points his weapon threateningly at her again. My eyes fall on Abby, lying on the ground, and I close my eyes for a moment, trying to contain my anxiety. Ellie, immediately understanding the urgency, turns to me with a determined look.

— No chance, Ellie says.
— I can't resist anymore, Ellie. We're trapped. I... I can't let Abby die.

Ellie turns to Abby's almost lifeless body on the ground and frowns. She grabs her weapon, trying to understand why Abby is so important to me.

— No. You're not sacrificing yourself, Lilianna.
— It's not up to you to make that decision.
— I don't have time. Come here or I'll kill her on the spot, he says, his face showing pain and rage.

I start to move toward him, but she grabs my wrist again and positions herself in front of me.

— Take me. Not her. I'm immune.

She rolls up her shirt sleeve, revealing a scar hidden under a tattoo. We are all stunned by this revelation. Joel moves toward Ellie with an expression of mixed surprise and concern, but James, eyes fixed on him, aims his weapon firmly at Joel.

— Ellie... Joel murmurs.

Ellie turns to Joel and gives him a determined nod, before turning her gaze to me with a sadness I have never seen before. The idea that she could die in my place is unthinkable to me. My heart tightens as I shake my head firmly in disapproval, unable to accept such an outcome. I move toward Ellie and firmly grasp her hand, keeping my eyes on Isaac.

— Let Abby, Joel, and Tommy go. You only need... us.

My eyes fall on Ellie, who seems to fully understand the meaning of my gesture. "Together or not at all." I grip her hand with such intensity that I can almost feel her bones compressing under my hold. James forces Abby to stand and pushes her toward me.

— Are you okay?
— Please, don't do this.
— It'll be okay, Abby.

I gently force her to look at me, then offer her a barely noticeable smile full of reassurance. I hug her carefully, avoiding her wounds, then help her join Tommy and Joel. Afterward, James and Isaac signal us to move forward. We set off, each step harmonizing toward our destiny.

---

Thank you! Feel free to comment and like the story if you enjoyed this chapter. See you soon for the next chapter!