Chapter 14

TW: mention of death

"Are you sure you already have everything you need?" I stopped moving for a while to think about the things I need to bring. I looked at my bag in the backseat.

"That's fine. Isang araw at gabi lang naman tayo dun kaya hindi need magdala ng madami." we are preparing to leave now for Tagaytay. Story was delighted when I told her that I'll bring Red home. She was so excited that they kept on talking on the phone, Story asking him questions, while I was just beside Red, looking at them.

I didn't tell mom that I'll bring someone today, but I have a feeling that she already knows because Story can't keep secrets when she's excited.

"Let's go." he opened the door, putting his hand on top of my head to avoid bumping on the car.

It's five in the morning, and we are about to leave already. Red and I decided to leave so we could arrive early in Tagaytay. We only have Saturday to spend there because Sunday is Elijah's birthday and we need to go back to celebrate it with him. He decided to celebrate his birthday in a bar.

"We are going to bring Story to Sky Ranch. Is that okay?" he nodded. "Of course. Is there any place you want to visit aside from Sky Ranch?" I shook my head.

"I think a day isn't enough. We can go back soon and explore the city with Story." he nodded again.

"I didn't tell mom na may isasama ako." I said after silence enveloped us for a few minutes. I took a deep breath. Kinakabahan ako. Paano ko siya ipapakilala? What should I say? That he is my friend?

"It's a surprise then?" he asked, chuckling. I can't even chuckle with him because I'm nervous.

I never brought a man to our house that's why I am nervous. My mom and I never talked about me being gay. She never asked me about my relationships either. And introducing a man to her that is not just a friend frightens me so much, but I want to try. My mom isn't like my father, she would understand me.

"Is your mom at home today?" he asked again when I didn't speak, trying to lighten up the mood.

"Hmm..." I felt him held my hand and squeezed it.

"How about your dad?" I felt like my heart stopped beating for a second.

Red doesn't know anything about my dad, not even his name. I never mentioned my father to him.

"Wala na ang papa ko." I said in a small voice.

"I'm sorry." he said with empathy. I shook my head. "It's okay. He was gone years ago. He had an accident. Nabangga sa nakasalubong na sasakyan." my hand trembled, thinking about my father, lying on the pavement, lifeless. And my mom's cries, trying her best to revive my dad.

"Dalawa sila noon ng mom ko na sakay ng sasakyan. My mom survived, but my dad didn't." I swallowed the lump on my throat. I never shed tears when my father died, but I know my heart was mourning. I lost a father, and despite being cruel to me, he is still my father.

I always understood his anger towards me before, even though he failed to understand me. Kahit hindi ko maintindihan, inintindi ko.

I turned to him. He looks uneasy now.

"I'm sorry for asking. I didn't know." his voice sounds regretful now. He stopped the car and parked it on the side of the road.

He faced me and held my hand. "Are you okay?" tumango ako at ngumiti sa kanya. "I'm okay. We shouldn't be talking about this." he nodded and kissed my forehead.

I chuckled when he stretched my cheeks to make me smile. Binigyan niya ako ng isang matunog na halik sa labi. My shoulder shook because of laughing. I suddenly forgot what we were talking about.