Chapter V

Ran was just walking wherever his legs were taking him

Ran was just walking wherever his legs were taking him. He liked the party, and if he got bored he could just sleep, the noise doesn't really bother him. But now he just wanted to be alone, and as much as he hates staying up late, right now he just wants to be alone under the stars.

It's just a question, so why is he taking it to heart? Why is it so important for him to find the answer? Why is he so mad that he can't answer this simple question? Does he really not know who he is?

It doesn't matter anyway. It's not like this question will affect his life. He is just curious and he's bored, that's why he wants to know the answer. No other reason.

He was just walking wherever his legs were taking him, and seems like his legs were taking him to a playground. There was no one there, not even the girl who asked this question from him. It's not raining, it's the night, it's obvious she's not gonna be here. So he can be alone. Ran sat down on one of the swings and looked up at the stars.

Millions of stars were on the sky, making the dark night seem brighter than it would be without the stars and the moon. As much as Ran liked to sleep he also liked to look at the stars. So many stars, so far away. He has no idea how many there are, millions and trillions and even more. He has no idea what it would be like to see a star from up close, but he likes watching them from far away too. When he is too deep in thoughts that he can't sleep he usually looks at the stars.

But he also likes to look at the moon. The only moon that this earth has, and it shines bright at night. He likes the Sun, but he likes the Moon too. He likes how pretty it is, how fancy it is. It might be boring to watch it, but Ran likes to do boring activities when he feels like he can't sleep, and watching the moon is his favourite boring activity.

"The Moon is beautiful, isn't it?" Ran heard a gentle voice speak close to his ears. He was surprised, since he didn't hear any footsteps, so he quickly turned his head to his right to look at the person who spoke. Only inches from his face was the smiling 'witch' with those e/c eyes of hers that Ran could see from close. Her smile was soft, very soft, matching the tone she used, and her eyes were only looking into his violet once.

"I thought you wouldn't be here, since it's not raining" Ran smirked.

'I wanted to be alone for a little bit' he thought as he watched Y/n silently sit down on the other swing.

"I like to be out at night" she answered with a smile. "I know it's dangerous for a girl, but I could just mention my cousin's name and they know it's a problem if they hurt me. If something happens to me I know he will bring hell for them."

'Maybe you can be an exception with the alone stuff' Ran smiled softly at the thought. 'Just maybe.'

"You're not really scared then, huh?" Ran teased her, looking at her face to see a reaction.

"I'm not afraid for my life, you know" Y/n laughed. "If I would be then I wouldn't hang out with the infamous older Haitani who fights delinquents with a baton, while his younger brother breaks their bones."

"And here I am, starting to think that you didn't know us" he laughed with her.

"You keep talking about all this stuff that it burned into my brain" she answer, looking at the stars, ignoring Ran's eyes that were still on her. "So, why are you out here at this hour?"

"There's a party in my apartment and one of my friends knows the answer to the question, but won't help me" Ran sighed before looking back at the stars again. "He said that it will all make sense in the end, so I came out here to think. But the more I think about the question the more I find it stupid, useless and I don't see why it would make sense to find the answer out for myself."

"It will make sense, I promise" she answered before looking at Ran. "When's your 19th birthday?"

"May 26, why?" Ran answered as he looked at the girl.

"That's close, just a month" she gave him a soft smile. "As your birthday gift I will explain to you why you have to find out the answer for yourself, even if you won't know the answer by then. But I will give you a hint too."

"Will I be able to guess the answer with the hint?" he raised an eyebrow, not even noticing the smile that was making it's way to his face.

"I don't know" Y/n shrugged. "But it'll help knowing why you can't guess it. If your friend knows the answer then I'm sure you will too, friends can influence each other, you know."

"He said he guessed it too, but I have no idea how" Ran sighed. "He is stupid and arrogant, I have no idea how can he know the answer to a supposedly easy question that I can't guess."

"'Stupid and arrogant'? I can assure you that he probably took a long time too to find out the answer" Y/n told him.

"You say it's an easy question and yet you keep telling me that it took others a long time to find the answer" he deadpanned.

"It's an easy question" she answer with a soft smile. "But I will tell you on your birthday the reason people can't guess it. But on your birthday you have to come out to this playground at this hour, to these swings."

"I will" Ran answered with a smirk. "But if it will rain don't expect me to stay for long, I don't want to get wet."

"I know you will stay anyway" she chuckled. "You always do."

'Yeah, maybe you can be an exception with my alone time. Only you tho.'

~ luvmochii_

~ luvmochii_