Chapter XII

The sky was full of stars

The sky was full of stars. The moon was shining brighter tonight than it did for a long time.

Tonight was not special, it was 25th of May. So this wasn't really a special day. But in a few minutes it's gonna be a special day for someone. And that someone is sitting on a swing in the park he grew to adore in the past month.

Ran never really thought of his birthday as something special. He always thought it's just a day just like the other days. For family he only had Rindou, he was the one responsible for Rindou, so for him it was only his little brother's birthday that meant something for him. His own meant nothing.

And even tho it meant nothing, and he never waited for it, he does not enjoy his birthday one bit. It's not special for him, and the thought that he has to act like it is a special day always annoys him. That's why he was out at this hour, to prepare mentally. He likes to be the center of attention, but he does not enjoy the sight of people who feel sorry for him whenever they find out he does not like his own birthday.

He never really liked his birthday before, and his 19th birthday will be no different.

"Why do you look sad?" a voice could be heard not far from the older Haitani.

"I don't, I'm just sleepy" he answered, as he watched the girl sit down beside him on the other swing.

"Then why aren't you sleeping?" she asked.

"I don't want to" Ran answered before a smug smile made it's way to his lips. "Why would I sleep when I can enjoy this beautiful night with this beautiful lady beside me?"

"Smooth" Y/n laughed before she looked down at her phone and looked up. "I guess it's not night anymore. It just hit midnight, good morning I guess."

"You believe in that?" Ran asked with a joking offended look. "It's not morning until I sleep."

"I agree, but I had to make that joke" Y/n answered while she looked at him. She had a soft smile on her face before she spoke again. "Who are you that no one else is?"

"I still don't know the answer, no matter how many times you ask me" the older Haitani answered. "This question makes zero sense."

"You can't think of the answer because you are thinking of personality traits" Y/n answered. "I didn't ask what kind of person you are, I asked who you are. You keep looking at the small pictures, trying to decide which one is the better. You are so focused on the small pictures, that you forget to look at the big picture, the final art. Personality traits change, you can change your name too and how you look. People can also change how they are to be like you. But there is one easy answer to this question."