Chapter 26

The next morning I sprang out of bed, excited to do some much needed shopping. I sprayed some light hairspray into my wavy hair and put on mascara with a thin line of black eyeliner on my lids. I put on a cute outfit that wasn't workout clothes, and walked over to Stella's room. She was already waiting for me outside her door, and we continued outside to the car waiting for us.

"I know the best store in Magix, they have designer dresses!" Stella babbled on about her shopping expertise.

"Stel I can't afford anything designer." My parents had started putting money on a debit card for me, but I felt bad asking them for more. I had $300, but that included food, transportation, and basic necessities. I had a feeling these dresses would cost a lot more than that.

"Don't worry Alena, I'll pay for it! I am rich, you know. I have an unrestricted bank account, it's my treat." I started to protest but she cut me off. Besides, if I had to let her buy it for me, I guess I could. I thanked her as the car came to a stop. We got out and started walking to Stella's "go-to dress store".

"One of the employees will come up to you and ask you questions about what type of dress you want. Then, they will bring out every dress they have that is similar to your request! How cool is that?"

"Cool," I said with fake enthusiasm. I don't know how she can get so excited over answering dress questions. The building was probably the nicest one in Magix. It's windows looked like diamonds in the sun. We walked through the revolving door into chaos. Women were everywhere walking around with dresses; some were trying dresses on, and others were buying them.

"I have never seen so many dresses in my life." I stared in awe as Stella dragged be across the red velvet carpeting. We walked up to a woman with a tape measurer around her neck and something similar to an iPad, but much more advanced, in her hands. She appeared to be in her late fifty's and smiled at us warmly.

"Hello ladies, my name is Carol. What can I help you with today?"

Stella boldly spoke up, "We're looking for dresses to wear to a formal masquerade party."

"Ok, well why don't we find a room and we can go over the details." The woman led us into a hallway in the back of the store. The hallway was lined with rooms blocked by a hanging curtain in the doorway. She stopped at an open room, and led us inside before closing the curtain.

"Let's start with you," she directed at Stella. I zoned out as she described her dress, occasionally hearing a word such as "sparkle" or "ruffles" before the lady turned her gaze to me.

"And what would you like?" I was a bit confused at first.

"Well, I want the color to be black, and it will be a long gown like Stella's. I want it to be strapless and eye catching, but nothing ridiculous. I don't like too much glitter or gems or fancy stuff." The woman nodded before leaving the room to grab some dresses. In the room was a raised platform and a mirror, so you could see yourself in the dress. Off to the left of that, was a dressing room. Carol returned within ten minutes carrying five dresses on each arm. Stella went first and tried on a one shoulder, form fitting red dress with an open back. The bottom flared almost, like a mermaid style dress. Some red and white gems covered the part that wrapped over her shoulder. Her blonde hair contrasted with the red making it pop. She looked amazing.

"Wow, you look so good." She walked over to the platform and admired herself.

"I think I'm going to get this one, I absolutely love it! You're next Alena." The first dress I tried on was puffy, and made me feel like I was a goth Cinderella.

"I'm not feeling this." I quickly returned to the dressing room and tried on another one. The second dress was completely glitter, but the black made it look elegant. It had a slit in the leg, and a sweetheart neckline that formed a shallow v cut out between my breasts. It was sexy, but not inappropriate. Stella stare in awe at me as I walked out.