Chapter XVII

Chapter 17: Confrontations & confessions

"Do you have an explanation?''

Namjoon was serious and not kidding. I can read his face, although hardly anyone was surprised he was angry. No knowledge was needed. However, deep down, I knew how angry he was. His eyebrows were tight, and he was staring straight into my soul.

''I'm sorry,'' I said in a slightly questioning tone, and what I often used with him when we were together. The tone involves blinking the eyes and making the voice sound innocently small. However, I knew that it no longer worked for him in this situation, but I threw my chances on the table.

''Jungkook!'' Namjoon yelled at the youngest. Jungkook had left the situation before, but he hadn't gone far. Maybe he wanted to be in the front row to hear Namjoon give me a lesson. However, he did not realize that he would have to return to the crime scene.

''What?'' Jungkook asked as he returned to the bar counter. ''If you're going to blame me for letting her go upstairs, it's all for nothing. I told her that you are not accepting anyone at the moment.''

Namjoon turned back to me, rolling his eyes. I glanced in Jungkook's direction and noticed how he was grinning at me for not being guilty of this, no matter how hard I tried. I never meant to make Jungkook a scapegoat, even though I wanted to.

''What are you even doing here? You're here all the time these days,'' Namjoon asked.

''I came to talk to you,'' I replied.

''To talk? Couldn't you text or call me to meet me later? Why do you suddenly have a need to see me all the time? You hate me, and you hate visiting here when you have to. Now you're coming voluntarily?'' Namjoon continued.

''Maybe I've changed my mind about this place,'' I said.

''Now, really, Y/n,'' Namjoon started and grabbed my hand to pull me upstairs. I glanced back at Jennie, who just gave a thumbs-up with a smile.

We got back to Namjoon's 'office', and he walked back behind his desk to let out a deep sigh. ''What am I going to do with you? Our thing is over. That's what you said yourself.''

''This isn't about the two of us or that for some reason I want to get back together with you. It's about another person,'' I answered.

''About Karina? Are you serious?''

''Do I somehow look like I came here for fun to talk about her with positive comments? I thought she would be here with you, but clearly, I was wrong. Admit that she's been here. That's what your minions told me,'' I said.

''Yes, she has been here, so what?'' Namjoon asked.

''So what? So what?! How can you just let her in here like that?''

Namjoon leaned against his desk. ''As I recall, you were the one who caused her to miscarry and made her leave town. Shouldn't I be mad at you here?''

''And as I recall, you already believed I didn't do it. She faked the whole thing!''

''I really couldn't bear to go through this with you again. Whatever the truth, she left, and now she's back. Everyone deserves a second chance. And no, I'm not jumping into anything with her, even though it's none of your business and shouldn't be of interest to you either, after all, we've broken up,'' Namjoon stood up.

''I know it's none of my business, but I just want to protect you,'' I said.

''Protect me? From Karina? I can take care of myself and make the necessary judgments towards people. Karina did wrong then, but she has expressed that she is sorry and would even like to make up with me. She hasn't expressed anything suggesting dating in the short time she's been here. Doesn't that already say something?''