Chapter Thirteen

It's the fifteenth, the night of the masquerade ball. The anxiety boils inside me, but I want to know more about this place. I can get the inside scoop, I finally have something to write about. This is perfect! Since I don't have to be there until nine, I think I'll pamper myself for the occasion.

I sit in the chair at the salon, waiting for my stylist to finish the client she's currently working on. Searching for the perfect cut, the stylist walks over, "I'm sorry for the wait, my name is Wren" her smile is so warm and welcoming.

Her smile is contagious, returning her smile. "Not a problem, I was still figuring out what I wanted" laughing nervously.

Wren is the sweetest person I have ever met, she is very patient also. I explain how I want layers and It to be visibly different from my current long flat hair. After about an hour she was finished with my hair, I looked totally different. My hair was shoulder length, the bounce and shine was very uplifting. I thanked Wren, she did an incredible job! I asked her to maybe have lunch one of these days and she accepted, giving me her cell phone number. I was eager to have more positive people in my life.

After getting my hair done, I made a quick stop at McDonalds. I was debating on if I should get my nails done, if I do it will probably just be French tips as I don't have too much money to work with. Making the decision, I head to the nail salon. I sit down as the technician asks me what I want, I tell her French tips and she begins sizing my nails. Doesn't seem to be too long and I was finished, I left very satisfied.

It is seven by the time I got home. I go to my vanity, starting on my makeup I do a more glamorous look. Rummaging through my drawers " I know have some" under the makeup wipes I find the eye lashes I was searching for. Changing in the bathroom, I stare at myself. I look like a completely different person. I touch up my curls and spray my perfume for the finishing touch, I grab the invitation, my mask, and head out the door. As I get closer, and closer, my stomach is in knots.

Parking out front, I put my mask on. Valet knocks on the driver side window, I hand the guy my keys. Walking up to the same bald man who was bouncing the night I came across this place, he eyes me. "I need your invitation" I hand him the paper, he looks it over. Pushing the door open, allowing me to go through.

He stops me at the last minute "keep your mask on at all times." I find it a little odd but continue. The room is huge, smoky and only lit by red lighting. There are so many people here, everyone's identities are confidential. I move through the crowd, finding my way to the bar. I get a shot of vodka to calm my nerves, I wonder who invited me here. I order another drink, when suddenly I feel someone tap my shoulder. I spin around, and I'm met by a masked man smiling at me. Grabbing my hand he kisses it softly, " I was hoping you would come."