18

Alhaitham POV

The tension between Kaveh and me continued to mount, each day a minefield of potential arguments. We were both stretched thin, and our patience wore away with each passing moment. Small disagreements flared into full-blown fights, and every attempt at reconciliation seemed to fall flat.

One evening, after a particularly grueling day at work, I came home to find Kaveh hunched over his drafting table, his eyes dark with exhaustion. I could see the frustration etched into every line of his face, the weight of unrelenting stress pressing down on him.

"Kaveh," I said softly, trying to keep my voice calm. "You need to take a break. You're going to burn out if you keep pushing yourself like this."

He didn't even look up, his voice tight with irritation. "Not now, Alhaitham. I have too much to do."

"You've been saying that for days," I replied, my own frustration bubbling to the surface. "This isn't healthy. You need to rest."

His pencil snapped in his hand, and he finally turned to face me, his eyes blazing with anger. "And what would you know about it?" he snapped. "You think you're the only one who's tired? The only one who's stressed?"

"I never said that," I retorted, my voice rising despite my efforts to stay calm. "But ignoring your needs won't solve anything."

Kaveh stood up abruptly, his chair clattering to the floor. "I don't need you to tell me how to take care of myself! I don't need you to tell me anything!"

The argument escalated quickly, our voices echoing through the apartment. We hurled accusations and grievances at each other, the accumulated weight of our frustrations breaking free in a torrent of anger.

Finally, Kaveh's patience snapped entirely. He started yelling, his words pouring out in a furious stream. "You always think you know better! You always think you have the answers! But you don't know what it's like to feel like you're drowning every single day! You don't understand what it's like to have the world expect so much from you and give so little in return! You don't know anything, Alhaitham!"

His words cut deep, each one a fresh wound. I stood there, trying to hold myself together, but the force of his anger was overwhelming. He kept going, yelling at me for what felt like an eternity, his voice raw and filled with pain.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. The exhaustion, the frustration, the hurt—it all came crashing down on me. My composure shattered, and I felt tears streaming down my face. I started to sob, the weight of everything too much to bear.

Kaveh's rant came to an abrupt halt, his eyes widening in shock as he saw me break down. "Alhaitham," he said, his voice suddenly soft, filled with regret. "I... I didn't mean..."

But the damage was done. I turned away, trying to hide my tears, but it was futile. I sank to the floor, my body wracked with sobs. Kaveh knelt beside me, his hands hovering uncertainly, not knowing how to comfort me.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered, his voice trembling. "I didn't mean to hurt you. I just... I don't know what to do anymore."

I couldn't find the words to respond, my mind a blur of pain and exhaustion. He reached out tentatively, his hand resting on my shoulder. "Please, Alhaitham. I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

I shook my head, unable to speak through my tears. The weight of our unresolved issues pressed down on us both, suffocating any hope of reconciliation in that moment.

Eventually, the tears subsided, leaving me feeling hollow and drained. I stood up slowly, avoiding Kaveh's gaze. "I'm going to bed," I said quietly, my voice barely audible.