27

Alhaitham's POV

The trip to Port Ormos had been a long time coming. Kaveh and I had been working tirelessly, and this break was more than overdue. As soon as we arrived at the hotel, I felt a strange mix of relief and apprehension. The hotel was luxurious, with its grand marble lobby and plush furnishings. It was a far cry from the everyday stress of the Academia, and I was grateful for the change of pace.

We started our day with breakfast in the hotel's elegant dining room. The sun filtered through the large windows, casting a warm glow over the room. The buffet spread was impressive, with a variety of fresh fruits, pastries, and local dishes. Kaveh and I picked out our favorites and settled at a corner table.

"Have you tried the honey cakes?" Kaveh asked, his eyes twinkling with enthusiasm. He had a penchant for sweets, and it was always a pleasure to watch him enjoy them.

"No, not yet," I replied, studying the assortment of pastries. "I'll give it a try."

As I took a bite, the sweetness danced on my tongue. "These are excellent," I admitted, nodding in approval.

Kaveh grinned. "I told you! You should try the mango lassi next. It's supposed to be the best in town."

After breakfast, we strolled through the bustling streets of Port Ormos. The market was vibrant, filled with colorful stalls and the scent of exotic spices. We wandered from shop to shop, Kaveh's excitement palpable as he examined the various trinkets and artworks.

"Look at this," Kaveh said, holding up a delicate silver pendant. "I think it would look great on you."

I took it from him and inspected it. "It's beautiful. I might just get it."

As we continued to explore, I noticed a distinct change in myself. My stimming, which I usually kept in check, became more pronounced. The sensory overload of the market—the bustling crowd, the cacophony of sounds—triggered a nervous tapping of my fingers and a soft rocking motion as we walked.

Kaveh caught my eye and offered a reassuring smile. "You okay?"

I nodded, managing a small smile. "Just a bit overwhelmed. I'll be fine."

Kaveh placed a comforting hand on my shoulder, and I appreciated the gesture more than I could articulate.

By the time evening arrived, we were both exhausted but content. We decided to dine at one of the hotel's fine restaurants, a charming place with dim lighting and a view of the ocean. The ambiance was soothing, a perfect setting for unwinding.

Over dinner, we talked about everything and nothing. I found myself more relaxed, my stimming becoming less frequent as the comforting environment helped ease my anxiety.

"This place is fantastic," Kaveh said, his gaze lingering on the ocean outside. "I'm glad we decided to come here."

"Me too," I agreed. "It's nice to take a break from everything."

When we returned to our room, the atmosphere was cozy and intimate. The day had been a pleasant diversion from our usual routine, but there was something I needed to address.

As we settled into the plush armchairs, I turned to Kaveh. "There's something I've been meaning to talk to you about."

Kaveh looked up from the book he was flipping through. "What's up?"

I took a deep breath, gathering my thoughts. "I've been thinking about how I've been masking around you. I know I've been doing it for a long time, and I want to try to stop. I trust you completely, but it's going to be a process. I'm not used to being unmasked, even around you."

Kaveh's eyes softened. "I've noticed you stimming more today. It made me really happy. I'm glad you feel comfortable enough to let your guard down, even just a little."

I let out a sigh of relief, feeling the weight of my words lift. "It's been a long time coming. I want to be more open with you, but it's hard. I'm afraid of how I'll be perceived."

Kaveh reached out and took my hand in his. "You don't have to worry about that with me. I love you for who you are, and that includes all of you—the stimming, the masking, everything. We'll work through this together."

I squeezed his hand, feeling a surge of warmth at his words. "Thank you, Kaveh. It means a lot to hear that."

We spent the rest of the evening talking quietly, the conversation flowing naturally. It was comforting to be in this space with Kaveh, and the sense of normalcy allowed me to relax further. The luxury of the hotel and the peaceful ambiance made it easier to confront my fears and vulnerabilities.

As the night wore on, I found myself reflecting on how far we'd come. The trip had not only provided a much-needed break but also offered an opportunity for growth in our relationship. We were navigating this journey together, and I felt hopeful for what the future held.

As we prepared for bed, I could see Kaveh's contentment in the way he moved and spoke. The trip was a significant step forward for both of us, and despite the challenges, it was a reminder of the strength and resilience in our relationship.

"I'm really glad we did this," I said as we settled under the covers.

"Me too," Kaveh replied, his voice gentle. "It's been good for us."

We drifted off to sleep, the quiet hum of the city outside a comforting backdrop to our shared moment of peace.