Chapter XV

Chapter 15: Shadows in the spotlight

A month had now passed, and my leg was on the mend. Unfortunately, it wasn't quite ready yet for me to properly step and dance on it. I've tried to be patient, but sometimes I get frustrated with my mother's concern and command that I shouldn't try to dance with it. Of course, I don't strain it more than I can, but I would like to threaten my doctor and physiotherapist.

At this point, I had no choice but to wait and attend initial physical therapy appointments.

The school day had started as usual, but I still felt the tension in my stomach. I had had physical therapy in the morning, and although my leg was on the mend, it wasn't strong enough to dance yet. Now, however, I headed to the dance hall where Hoseok was giving a class. I continue to work as an assistant teacher, advising other students and sharing tips. I was grateful for this small job I had received. I had also learned a lot from it. We have also met with Hoseok a few times after class. He wanted to show me the next choreography so that I could help others with it.

As I entered the dance hall, I noticed Hoseok setting up the sound equipment. The students slowly gathered in the hall, an expectant look on their faces. Jimin and Jungkook came to greet me happily.

"Hi, how are you doing?" Jimin asked with a smile.

"Very well, thank you," I replied. "The leg feels better every day."

Hoseok exclaimed warmly from nearby when he heard what I said. "Good to hear. We have a pretty intense class today, so we need all the help we can get."

When the class started, I stood to the side and watched the students. Hoseok began with a thorough warm-up, and then we moved on to learning new choreography. He gave the students precise instructions but soon noticed that Joohyun didn't seem to be in the best mood.

"Remember to keep your midsection tight and move gracefully," Hoseok said, and I nodded. I stepped closer to the group, correcting the position of one student's hands.

Joohyun snorted and tried to hide her irritation. "Can't you just let Hoseok teach you? You can't even dance."

I swallowed and tried to stay calm. "I'm just trying to help. Hoseok needs support, and I want to ensure everyone gets the best possible education."

Joohyun rolled her eyes and turned her back. "I do know what I'm doing."

Hoseok noticed the situation and stopped the training for a while. "Everything okay here? Joohyun, you're not belittling Y/n's help again, are you?"

I forced a smile for Joohyun. "All right. Let's keep going."

The students returned to their exercises, but I couldn't help but feel a slight tension in the air. I drove the other students as best I could, but Joohyun's words echoed in my mind. I knew Joohyun was jealous of me and Hoseok's closeness, but I hadn't expected such direct hostility in front of Hoseok. Tantrums outside of class were nothing new.

Towards the end of the class, Hoseok decided to give the students free time to practice their own choreography. He walked over to me and put his hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry about Joohyun. She's just frustrated."

"I know," I replied quietly. "But it still feels bad."

Hoseok smiled encouragingly. "You're doing an excellent job. I'm proud of you."

I smiled back and felt a little better. We watched together as the students practiced, and Hoseok gave a few more tips before the class ended.

As the students started to leave, Joohyun walked past them and couldn't resist the temptation to say something again. "Remember that you can't always just be a spectator. At some point, you have to actually do something."