Special ability chose

Thanks to an article I read on the Internet about 100 things you need to know about awakening, I knew that the first book I would touch in this huge library would determine my ability.

And they wrote in the article that you don't need to waste time wandering around. There is no difference between the books. It makes sense to pick one at random and get out of there.

When I looked up, I saw that the library was too high for my vision to see.

And on many shelves there were gaps between books because they had already been taken by others. I also read on the internet that the floors of the library are shifted after each awakening so that the books at the top of the library are accessible. So there is no chance that I will go to the top floor and find books that no one else has ever seen.

Of course, knowing all this, I am not an ordinary person to go and pick a book at random. I really don't believe there is such a thing as luck.

There was a round piece of wood on each side of the library. According to the internet, these wooden boards worked like an elevator when you stepped on them. After looking at both of them, I climbed on the one on the left side.

[ Please select the floor you want to go ]

I was momentarily surprised to see that the only numbers I could choose from were from 1 to 10. When I turned my head once more and raised it to examine the library, I noticed something.

The bookcases in the library were arranged in a circle, and in front of the bookcases there were circular floor spaces. Of course, in the center of the library there was a huge gap towards the sky.

And after counting carefully, I realized that every 10 floors, the walkway separating the floors was thicker.

I looked at the numbers in front of me again, guessing what was happening.

As I looked at the numbers from one to ten, I thought about the number that people are least probably to choose. Probably people who think that there is no factor other than luck at work here would directly choose the middle floor.

So the 5th floor was eliminated.

Let's assume that some of the people who come here choose by thinking about the last digit of their age or half of their age.

8 and 9 are also eliminated

Considering that when human psychology is asked such a question, the most preferred ones are extreme numbers such as 10 and 1, they were also eliminated.

10 and 1 were also eliminated.

Also, people who want to make an unusual choice will usually choose three and seven. Of course, 7 is also the lucky number for many people.

3 and 7 are also eliminated

The remaining options are 2, 4, and 6. When I was undecided between these 3 floors, I remembered a probabilistic mathematical theory I had read in my past life. According to this theory, people are less likely to choose colors or numbers that are close to the median.

This meant that I had to choose between floors five or six. But since I had already eliminated the fifth floor, I raised my hand and clicked on the sixth floor without thinking further.

And as I expected, the ground under my feet suddenly started to rise and took me to a height between 50 and 60 levels. And the system screens appeared in front of me again

[ Please select the sub-floor you want to go ]

Again there were numbers from one to ten, but this time I chose five, not six.

There were two reasons for this: the first reason was that people who did want to go directly to the middle floor and not think about it, were already on the fifth floor. The second reason was, that people who used six as a lucky number would probebly choose six again.

When the floor under my feet dropped me in front of the shelves, I went directly to the left side of the floor. I did this because of some kind of psychological reason. Since most people prefer to use their right hand, when faced with two doors that should go to the left or right, they usually choose the right first.

Just like this, I thought that the left side of the bookshelves would be less preferred. And I noticed another detail this time.

When I examined it in detail, I saw that there were color distinctions between the bookshelves. In other words, the colors of the bookshelves were different from each other, but it was not noticeable at first glance because it was very faint.

And after the inspection, I noticed a total of 22 color changes, but there were 11 different colors because the colors on the left and right sides were painted in the opposite way.

Red
Orange
Yellow
Green
Blue
Purple
Pink
Brown
Black
White
Gray

Someone who looked carefully would have noticed these colors, as I did, but someone who didn't look carefully would have just made a subconscious choice.

Fortunately, in the article I read in my previous life, there was a probability calculation about color preferences. Although I did not delve deeply into the subject of color preferences, I remember that the least preferred colors were orange and brown.

Although orange was a beautiful vibrant color, it was bright enough to make people instinctively uncomfortable. So people would generally stay away from it because it was too conspicuous. But here, since the colors are usually so subdued that they are unobtrusive, it would be better to exclude orange from this list.

And I went to the bookcase painted brown, observing it carefully. Indeed, as I had expected, there were many missing books in the other bookcases, but there were only two missing books in this bookcase. The two people who came here had probably come here because they realized that there were no missing books.

There were 10 shelves in the bookcase and 50 books on each shelf. When I tried to choose a book again by calculating the lowest probabilities, I found that books number 24 and 26 were the two books that had already been taken.

It seems I am not the only one who thinks this way....