Chapter 21

(Vern's point of view)

I smile widely. A philosopher? Wow! I feel a rough grumble in the pit of my stomach and a soft sting of hunger. I clutch my stomach as if that'd make it stop hurting. Kai furrows his eyebrows,his tail taps against the floor seemingly not happy... He cares that much that I'm hungry? Weird.

"Kai! I'm hungry...is good gonna get here soon?..." My tail moves involuntarily...I'm hungry and it feels really weird.

He arches his back to pop it once more...it sounds crunchy and kinda painful. He walks up to the glass and sighs softly. What's he even doing? I whine softly. My stomach hurts bad...I've never been this hungry.

My heart rate speeds up and I wince softly as he bangs his fist against the panel making it shutter. A weird thing on the wall makes an odd sound and turns to Kai as if it's an eye in the wall... Kai sounds exasperated as he speaks to the wall eye. .

"Hey! Dick head, I know you can see me! Get me some food! How about you get the attention of the scientist huh robot?" The wall eye clicks and then its light shits off. Kai says a lot of curse words,it's not very pleasant. Is that an adult thing? I don't want to curse like that when I'm an adult though.

I step up to the glass carefully so I don't get too loud. A voice suddenly comes out of the wall eye,it's a deep raspy voice...I recognize it. I flinch softly but relax...it's ok he's not actually here I think.

"Relax,relax You two. My assistant went out hunting for fresh food,and he should be able to deliver it to you directly... And please, please shut your mouth. Your loud and if you distress the other experiments I will not be kind." Kai rolls his eyes and scoffs softly seemingly not sounding very impressed.

Assistant? The Scientist has an assistant. Kai flinches very slightly and his horns tilt forward,he looks down the hallway. So I turn my head to look down the hallway... There's a guy walking down it. Kai seems to shift back slightly...I don't understand until I look closer...and he gets closer...

and he gets closer

Hes smoking a cigarette

Hes smoking a cigarette... And he has no arms? Kinda. He has big angled arms with big claws for fingers. He looks tired... Real tired. He's pretty tall... But he's only about an inch taller than Kai. Kai's tail flicks against the floor as the Assistant Approaches the panel. He stands in front of it for a moment before he sighs and takes a drag of his cigarette.