Chapter 1: Time Travel

When Shi Tingyu woke up, she felt dizzy and disoriented, with intermittent sounds coming from outside the door that she couldn't quite make out.

She slowly sat up, instinctively rubbing her head, and soon began to gain a clearer sense of her surroundings.

She remembered that she had been murdered by a group of masked robbers after finishing a personal art exhibition.

Recalling the scene, Shi Tingyu's face turned pale. The sensation of being stabbed seemed to still linger in her chest.

But, wasn't she supposed to be dead?

Confused, she looked around and began to see her surroundings more clearly.

She was in a small room, simply but warmly decorated.

There was a bed, a wardrobe, and a desk.

Though the items were few, the room reflected the owner's care and attention.

The wardrobe had a vintage double-door design with a large, clean mirror in the center.

The desk was covered with a white floral tablecloth. On it were a few sheets of paper and a large plaster bust of David.

The desk was placed by the window, which wasn't the modern glass sliding type but an old wooden lattice window common in rural areas.

The window had two sashes, each supported by a hook. The warm breeze coming through the window relaxed her tense heart slightly.

She touched her chest, which was intact.

So what was going on? Had she traveled through time, been reborn, or was this just a dream?

Her gaze shifted down from her chest, and Shi Tingyu noticed that her clothes were unfamiliar. She was wearing a lace-trimmed, cotton floral nightgown.

It looked quite old-fashioned, something that rich young women from the 70s or 80s might wear.

Just then, the voices from outside the room came again. She slowly got up, wanting to find out what was happening, but froze when she passed by the mirror on the wardrobe.

The woman in the mirror, though resembling her, looked too young—about twenty years old.

Her hair, previously dyed and permed, was now natural, black, and thick.

This was definitely not her!

As she tried to understand the situation, the voices outside the room grew clearer.

"Old Shi, what should we do with these things?"

The speaker was a woman in her thirties, slender and elegant, with gentle, peach blossom eyes. However, her pretty face was now marked with worry.

The man being referred to as Old Shi was middle-aged, with a crew cut and a tall stature, at least 1.8 meters tall. His features were well-defined, with a high nose and deep-set eyes, typical of Chinese features rather than exaggerated foreign traits.

He exuded an air of refined elegance. Even with faint lines around his eyes, his looks remained intact.

He sighed and said, "These materials are hard to come by. I'll see if I can leave them at the research institute."

The beautiful woman shook her head, looking at the all-English documents on the table, feeling helpless. "If they could have been kept, they would have been by now."

The appearance of the two individuals triggered a cascade of memories in Shi Tingyu's mind.

She felt dizzy and leaned against the wall as the memories became clearer, and her face turned even paler.

The couple in the living room continued to worry about the documents, not mentioning discarding them, as they couldn't bear to part with them.

After some time, Shi Tingyu came to her senses from the flood of memories, her eyes reflecting disbelief.

She had indeed traveled through time! And it was a soul transfer! She had traveled back to May of 1975.

The body she now inhabited also belonged to someone named Shi Tingyu, who was twenty-two years old. Her parents were researchers at the Jinling Military District Weapons Research Institute, the very couple she had just heard speaking.

The beautiful woman, though appearing to be in her thirties, was actually forty-four years old, a testament to how time had been kind to her.

The Shi family had a rather complex history.

Shi Tingyu's parents had been technical experts studying in the U.S. They had returned to serve their country under secret protection four years ago.

Since their return, the Shi family had enjoyed good treatment.

Shi Tingyu's father, Shi Qian, was a key figure at the Weapons Research Institute, earning a technical grade one salary of 322 yuan per month.

Her mother, Liu Meihan, was an associate professor, earning a grade three salary of 240 yuan per month.

Together, their monthly salary was 562 yuan.

In an era where the average worker's salary was only in the thirties, this was quite a significant amount.

Additionally, Shi Tingyu's older brother, Shi Muhan, who had joined the army and was now a company commander, earned 80 yuan a month.

With such earnings, their material standard of living was among the best.

As for Shi Tingyu herself, she was idle at home.

This lifestyle was quite good for the current era.

However, good times didn't last. The situation had become severe, and what initially did not affect their military unit eventually spread to the Shi couple at the Weapons Research Institute due to some reports.

If not for the efforts of the military unit's leaders to protect them, the Shi couple would have been relocated by now.

The situation was growing increasingly tense, and even the unit leaders were becoming powerless. The Shi couple had to make plans.

They decided that while they could endure relocation themselves, they had to protect their children.

Shi Tingyu's older brother, Shi Muhan, aged twenty-four, was stationed at a different unit and was well cared for due to his contributions to improving military equipment and participating in the Vietnam War. He was safe for now.

The couple's main concern was their younger daughter.

They planned that if relocation became unavoidable, they would publicly sever ties with their daughter to ensure she would not be relocated with them.

Their daughter, pampered and talented, had been a well-known young painter in the U.S., with exhibitions and newspaper features.

Four years ago, she had given up her promising career to return to China with them.

In the current environment, she couldn't even make a living from painting.

Being a sensitive child, a common trait among artists, and extremely outstanding in appearance, she might attract undesirable attention after relocation, making it difficult for them to protect her.

They were determined not to let their daughter be relocated with them.

Shi Tingyu had overheard her parents' conversation and, due to extreme fear, had died.

When she woke up again, she was in the body of the talented painter Shi Tingyu from the twenty-first century.

As she sorted through the memories and considered her current situation, Shi Tingyu calmed herself and approached her parents.

As they say, do your best and leave the rest to fate. Since the relocation order hadn't been issued yet, it was time to do what she could.