Chapter 17: So This is a Transmigration Novel

"I've cleared out the corners of the walls. If you want to plant any flowers, you can do so there," Lu Weiguo said.

Shi Tingyu didn't say anything more after that.

Since she had the spiritual spring, it seemed a waste not to plant some flowers she liked.

The courtyard didn't take long to tidy up, and soon after, Shi Tingyu suggested that they head back home.

She needed to cook dinner tonight.

After Lu Weiguo put away the hoe, he led Shi Tingyu back to her house.

Leaving the residential compound, this time, Shi Tingyu didn't wait for Lu Weiguo to ask and took the initiative to wrap her arms around his waist.

Lu Weiguo wasn't as nervous as the first time; instead, a sense of joy spread through him.

Although Lu Weiguo wasn't skilled in cooking, he was good at washing and preparing the vegetables.

They both grew up in the countryside, so peeling potatoes without turning them into a single long strip was manageable. He knew the necessary ingredients and was a great help to Shi Tingyu.

When Shi Tingyu's parents came home from work, they were greeted by the strong aroma of delicious food, which improved their previously gloomy mood.

The family sat around the table for dinner, and Shi Tingyu kept piling food onto her parents' plates.

She sensed that something seemed off with their mood today.

But as the saying goes, nothing is more important than eating, and they didn't discuss unhappy matters at the dinner table.

After dinner, Lu Weiguo helped clean up the dishes.

Only then did Shi Tingyu's parents, who were sitting on the sofa, say to their daughter, "Xiaoyu, your mom and dad won't need to go to work tomorrow."

Shi Tingyu knew that what was bound to happen had finally arrived.

Hearing the commotion, Lu Weiguo put down the dishes he was washing and came over.

Shi Tingyu's parents were very downcast. Since returning to China, they had both worked at the research institute, which was practically their second home.

When they received the notice this afternoon, they felt as though the other shoe had finally dropped.

It was inevitable to feel sad.

They also knew that the days of being separated from their daughter were approaching.

"What did the research institute say?" Shi Tingyu asked.

Her father sighed, "The research institute said they received orders from above. We're to stay at home these next few days and wait for the investigation."

Shi Tingyu held her parents' hands and said, "Don't worry, our family is clean."

Her mother thought of how everything in their house that shouldn't be there had been cleared out, including the plaster statue on her daughter's desk, and she felt a bit more at ease.

Lu Weiguo hadn't expected things to happen so quickly.

He didn't stay long at the Shi house and suggested that Shi Tingyu stay to keep her parents company while he headed back to the camp to gather information.

Shi Tingyu walked him to the door and reminded him, "It's dark; be careful on the road."

Lu Weiguo nodded at her and left on his bike without delay.