Talking to Joe

A week later

A week later...

"Tell me why I should speak to his ass?" Marlene questioned Hailey holding Jonelle in her arms.

"I hate that I'm saying this but he's a wreck without you and Joshua." Hailey standing in front of Marlene. "He needs y'all more than you think and more than he wants to admit."

"He put my kids in danger so why would I talk to him?" Marlene asked rhetorically.

"You're talking to Joshua and put them in danger as well." Hailey said trying to make a point.

"He apologized and actually felt bad. Joe didn't give a crap at all." Marlene threw back at her. "If he's 'miserable' then let him be. I'm done."

"Girl please just do it, him being miserable is making everyone miserable including me and I know you don't want me to be miserable." She said with a pout.

"At this point I don't really give a crap. I don't want to talk to him so why are you making me?"

"Please just do it for me." Marlene groaned giving in.

"Fine but you have to bring him here because I'm not going to him." Marlene said and Hailey nodded letting her know she'll be right back. "Your godmother is a pain in my existence." Hailey walked in with Joseph basically dragging Joe behind them.

"Let go of me." They pushed him forward and he huffed.

"He was already here?!" They ignored Marlene and took Jonelle before walking away.

They sat in silence none of them wanting to say something first.

"If you're not going to say anything you can go." Marlene said breaking the silence.

"I didn't want to be here anyway." Joe grumbled crossing his arms.

"There's the door." She pointed at it but he didn't budge.

"Look I'm sorry alright, I'm sorry your kids were put in danger." He said but it wasn't sincere at all, he just wanted to get it over with. And Marlene could see right through that.

"You aren't sorry so that fake ass apology and shove it. I want you to think about this and think about it hard. Just imagine if the same thing happened to your daughter." She watched his jaw clenched as he scratched his chin.

"Don't talk about my daughter." He threatened.

"But just imagine, then also imagine if it was Joshua's fault and he didn't give a fuck."

"I already know what it feels like!" He shouted standing up. "I lost my wife that way and almost lost my daughter in the process."

"If you know how it feels why put your cousin through it? Why put my kids at risk? It's very hard to feel sorry for you when you do the shit you do." Marlene said grabbing her phone. She went upstairs not wanting to have this conversation anymore.