Chapter Thirty Three: The Past- Part Two

As I made my way back home, I still struggled to digest all the information that Kyle—no, Kevin—had revealed to me. When I entered the house, I saw my mother through the glass wall, tending to the garden and watering the flowers. Taking a deep breath, I approached her.

"Hello, Mom! You must be bored here, right? Because I'm not around?" I said with a laugh, trying to lighten the mood.

"I'm fine, dear. But I've missed you so much, my child. How was your training and evaluation?" my mother replied, her face filled with warmth and love. It was hard to believe she was my mother sometimes. She looked so young and vibrant.

"Mom," I began with a pout, indicating that I had some bad news.

"What is it, Rose? You can tell me. Although I'd be very happy if you didn't get accepted," she joked, trying to ease the tension.

"Mom, come on!" I exclaimed, feeling even more saddened by her response.

"Okay, okay," my mother chuckled awkwardly. "Then what was the result?"

"Mom! I got approved!! Weeee~" I exclaimed with joy, unable to contain my excitement. But my mother's reaction was different.

"My child, I'm scared. What if everyone finds out our secret?" my mother said, her voice filled with fear and concern.

"Don't worry, Mom. I can handle myself. I can do it, Mom. I wouldn't have taken on this responsibility if my sister weren't sick. She's more deserving than me. But I don't want her to be the one in danger," I reassured my mother, determination shining in my eyes.

She took a deep breath before responding, "Guess I have no choice but to accept then," she sadly told me. In response, I hugged her tightly, trying to offer comfort and support.

"Mom~" I acted cutely in front of her to lift her spirits, and it seemed to work. She smiled and gently brushed my hair.

"Okay, alright. Change your clothes now, you're dirty," she joked, lightening the mood. I laughed and bid her goodbye, then made my way upstairs to my room. However, as I climbed the staircase, a sense of unease settled within me. The entire palace seemed unusually quiet, devoid of the usual hustle and bustle of the royal maids going about their tasks. I shook off the thought and continued towards my room, feeling a mix of shock and unease as I found no one there to greet me. With a sigh, I proceeded to undress and prepare my bath, realizing that there was no one available to assist me. I finished my bath, changed into fresh clothes, and stepped out of my room.

"Mom, Dad? Where are the royal maids?" I asked, scanning the huge living room. Their eyes turned towards me, and my parents exchanged a glance.

"Oh, I'm sorry, my child. I didn't know you would be back today, so I rewarded the maids with a short vacation. But don't worry, they'll be back by tomorrow," my father explained, regret evident in his voice.

"No problem, Dad," I reassured them, though a tinge of disappointment lingered. I noticed my sister, Lilly, standing in the corner, her expression filled with sadness. I called out to her, hoping to lift her spirits.

"Lilly? Why are you sad? Would you like to go to the market with me? I'll buy you something cool," I suggested, trying to brighten her mood. I didn't want her to feel left out, so I thought spending time together might help.

"That's great then. You guys should enjoy the town. It's boring here anyway," our dad chimed in, offering his approval. He even arranged for a ride for us, and soon we were on our way to the town, ready for a little adventure.

We arrived in the town, greeted by a charming scene. Colorful buildings adorned with intricate designs lined the streets, creating a vibrant atmosphere. The air was filled with the scent of freshly baked bread and blooming flowers. Narrow cobblestone alleys led us to quaint shops and cozy cafes. The central square bustled with market stalls offering fresh produce and local crafts. Street performers entertained the crowd with lively music. The town exuded a warm and welcoming ambiance, with friendly residents and clean streets adorned with flowers. It was a delightful escape from the palace, allowing us to immerse ourselves in the lively spirit of the town and create cherished memories together.