Starstruck

Charlize had always imagined what it would be like to work with Elise, the actress who had been her inspiration since she first dreamed of stepping into the world of film and television. For years, Elise had been a distant figure on the screen, someone Charlize admired from afar—a star so high in the sky that it seemed untouchable. And now, here she was, sharing the same space, the same set, with the woman she had idolized for so long.

But reality, as Charlize was quickly learning, was far more complicated than the daydreams of her youth.

It was mid-morning, and the production team was bustling around, setting up for the next round of rehearsals. The large rehearsal space was filled with the usual noise of people moving equipment, adjusting lights, and running lines. Charlize stood to the side, her script in hand, trying to focus on the scenes they were about to rehearse. But her thoughts kept drifting to Elise, who was seated across the room, calmly discussing the day's schedule with the director.

Charlize had expected to feel nervous working with Elise, but what she hadn't anticipated was the overwhelming sense of awe that seemed to paralyze her whenever they were in the same room. Elise was everything Charlize had imagined and more—graceful, composed, and utterly captivating. But there was also a coolness to her, a distance that Charlize couldn't quite bridge, no matter how hard she tried.

Their interactions had been cordial, polite even, but strictly professional. Elise was always pleasant during their scenes, offering constructive feedback when necessary and maintaining a calm, respectful demeanor. Yet, beyond the script, their conversations were brief and formal, never straying into the realm of personal connection. It was as if an invisible barrier stood between them, one that Charlize couldn't figure out how to cross.

And it frustrated her.

Charlize had never been the type to hold back. She was known for her warmth, her ability to connect with people, to make them feel comfortable and at ease. It was part of what had propelled her career forward, and yet, with Elise, she felt as though she was hitting a wall over and over again.

"Hey, you okay?"

The voice of Melissa, her best friend and fellow actress, broke through Charlize's thoughts. Melissa had stopped by the rehearsal space during her lunch break, a sandwich in one hand and a curious expression on her face as she looked at Charlize.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Charlize replied, though her tone lacked conviction. She glanced back at Elise, who was now reviewing her script with a focused expression. "Just... I don't know. Trying to figure things out."

Melissa followed Charlize's gaze, her lips curving into a knowing smile. "Still trying to crack the ice queen, huh?"

Charlize sighed, running a hand through her hair in frustration. "I don't get it, Mel. I've tried everything—being friendly, being professional, giving her space—but nothing seems to work. It's like she's got this impenetrable wall around her."

Melissa took a bite of her sandwich, considering Charlize's words. "Maybe that's just who she is, Charlie. Some people are like that, especially in this industry. They keep their distance because it's easier than letting people in."

"But she doesn't seem like she's just doing it to be cold," Charlize protested. "It's more like... like she's protecting herself. Like she's afraid of something."

"Maybe she is," Melissa said with a shrug. "But that's not something you can force. If she wants to open up, she will. You just have to be patient."

Charlize groaned, leaning back against the wall. "I know, I know. It's just... I really want to get to know her, you know? Not just as a co-star, but as a person. She's been my idol for so long, and now that I'm finally working with her, it feels like she's slipping through my fingers."