17. Poisonous bite

🌊 .·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·. 🧜‍♂️ .·:*¨༺ ༻¨*:·. 🏰

The days passed and Hogwarts was everything I had imagined and more. My time in Gryffindor's company was a welcoming spirit from the often cold atmosphere of Slytherin. Herbology class became a particular favorite of mine. The greenhouses were a sanctuary of life and Professor Beery's enthusiasm for magical plants was cute. One morning, we were gathered in Greenhouse numbr 3 with Gryffondors again, surrounded by the vibrant colours of flowers and plants.

"Today, we'll be working with Venomous Snargaluff" Professor Beeryannounced. "These plants are highly dangerous but also incredibly fascinating. Approach with caution."

I was paired with Augusta Longbottom. Her expertise in Herbology was evident and I found her calm and methodical approach reassuring. We worked together, carefully repotting the flowers ensuring to avoid the poison. Across the greenhouse, I noticed Dolohov and Lestrange whispering and glancing my way. My stomach tightened. Their reputation for causing trouble was well-known now and I had a feeling they had something planned for me.

"Watch out, Adrian" Augusta warned softly as she caught my gaze shifting towards them. "Those two are up to no good."

I nodded, trying to focus on my work but my siren senses were on high alert. As we moved to the next table to gather more supplies, I felt a sharp tug on my robes. I turned just in time to see Lestrange smirking.

"Careful, traitor" he sneered. "Wouldn't want you to get hurt."

Before I could respond, Dolohov shoved a pot of Snargaluff pods towards me. The plant's tooth-like protrusions lunged at my hand, biting down hard. I cried out in pain as the pod's venom began to seep into my skin, making my vision blur and my tremble. 

"Professor!" I heard someone shout but I was already falling.

Tom Riddle was at my side before I hit the ground. "Hold on. We need to get you to the hospital wing" he said.  Professor Beery rushed over but Tom was already leading me out of the greenhouse. Once in the hospital wing, the school nurse quickly identified the cause of my distress.

"A Venomous bite. You should be in far worse condition" she said, her eyes narrowing in confusion as she examined my hand. "What happened?"

"Snargaluff pod bite" Tom explained. "It's poisoned him.

She examined my hand, her expression one of surprise. "This should have turned your hand black by now" she murmured. "But it hasn't... Interesting immune system you have." She quickly applied something to the wound and wrapped it in bandages. "You'll need to rest here for a while, just to be safe. But it seems like you're going to be fine."

Little did she know, my partial immortality—thanks to my ancestor Poseidon—meant that the venom wouldn't have the same effect on me as it did on humans. As I lay in the hospital bed, the sting of the Snargaluff pod bite still fresh in my mind, his piercing eyes fixed on me with an intensity that made it hard to look away.

Tom's eyes narrowed slightly. "Don't lie to me. I know you saw who did it."

"It doesn't matter. I just want to forget about it and move on."

He leaned closer, his tone growing more insistent. "You're not protecting anyone by staying silent. You might be a fool sometimes but not stupid enough to let them get away with it. "

I took a deep breath, the memory of Lestrange and Dolohov's smirking faces flashing in my mind. "It was Dolohov and Lestrange" I admitted quietly.

Tom nodded, his expression cold and calculating. "In that case, they shall meet something worse than being expelled."

As he turned to leave, I felt a pang of regret. "They're your friends after all."

He paused, glancing back at me with a hard look. "Don't be flattered. I'm doing my job as a prefect. Rest now."

The next few days passed in a haze of recovery and visits from friends. The bite from the Snargaluff pod had left me weakened but thanks to Madam Diggory's quick treatment and my family's bloodline, I was on the mend faster than anyone expected. Tom Riddle visited me each evening. Despite his usual cold demeanor, his presence was a comfort. On the first night, he brought a stack of notes and placed them on the bedside table.

"I wrote down everything you missed in class" he said curtly, his eyes avoiding mine. "Dolohov and Lestrange won't bother you again."

"Thank you" I replied softly, surprised by his unexpected kindness. A part of me didn't want to know what happened to them because they deserve it.

The next two nights followed a similar pattern. Tom would appear with more notes or books, ensuring I stayed caught up with my studies. He rarely spoke beyond the necessary. During the day, my Gryffindor friends filled the hospital wing with warmth and laughter. They brought treats and pumpkin juice, turning my recovery into a small celebration. Longbottom brewed me a special herbal tea, her gentle smile a balm to my spirit. Coral, my bestfriend, entertained himself by playing with little Hagrid, who had a natural affinity for magical creatures.

Rose spent every available moment explaining the lessons I had missed. She was thorough and patient, her intelligence shining through. On the third night, after Rose finished her last explanation of the day, I looked at her and Potter with gratitude. "Thank you, Rose. You've been amazing" I said, pulling her into a tight hug. Turning to Potter, I added, "And you too, Fleatmont. I don't know what I'd do without you both."

Potter grinned. "We're friends, Addy. We look out for each other."

Rose nodded, her smile warm. "Get some rest. We'll see you tomorrow. Love you"

After they left, I settled back into my bed, feeling a deep sense of gratitude for my friends. Tom's visits, though still puzzling. I'm not sure if I'm falling in love but I adore his company. I can't wait to share my dorm with him again. Seeing him in his desk, studying is a nice view that I got used to.