CHAPTER 35

The monsoon rains, a relentless force that had drenched the land for weeks, had finally subsided. The skies, once laden with heavy, dark clouds, were now a clear, vibrant blue. The air was crisp and cool, carrying the scent of fallen leaves and the distant rumble of thunder. Autumn, with its vibrant hues and crisp, invigorating air, had arrived.

With it arrived Danavas and Rakshasas, their spirits renewed by the changing seasons. As promised, they returned to the Daitya palace, to report their progress, to update their king on their preparations for the upcoming conquest.

The grand hall of the Daitya palace was filled to capacity. The Rakshasas and Danavas, their faces etched with a mixture of anticipation and determination, had gathered in anticipation of their king's arrival. The abuzz with chatter, a cacophony of voices filled with anticipation and excitement

Ketunemi was eagerly sharing his experiences. "The monsoon was a delight as always, no pleasure in which I didn't indulge." he boasted to his companions.

Whereas Pralayant was regaling his ministers with tales of his future glory. "Once we conquer the heavens," he boasted, his voice filled with a sense of entitlement, "I will be the one closest to Ajashakti, the most honored among his dignitaries."

Vakrang sat amidst the Daityas, his expression a mix of boredom and impatience. The endless chatter, the boasting of his fellow warriors, had grown tiresome. All he could think about was the day when the conquest would finally occur, when he would be crowned king.

The minutes turned into hours, and still, Ajashakti did not appear. Whispers spread through the hall, speculation rife about the king's whereabouts. Some wondered if he was preparing something for the impending war, while others speculated that he might be engaged in diplomatic discussions.

Pralayant stood up, his voice carrying a note of concern. "Vakrang, is Asur-raj well ?"

Vakrang's gaze, filled with a mixture of frustration and concern, swept across the hall. Ajashakti's tardiness could be a stain on the reputation of the Daityas, a blemish that could not be ignored.

Ketunemi, his patience tested, taunted, "Or is he even aware that we have arrived ?"

"I will go and bring him." Vakrang said. He would not allow Ajashakti's negligence to undermine their plans.

Meanwhile the king of Asuras was still in his chambers. The dimly lit room was bathed in a softglow. Ajashakti, his body relaxed against the cushions, lay comfortably on the bed. His one hand, a lazy grip, held a wine glass, the amber liquid shimmering in the soft light. His head, heavy with intoxication of both wine and love, rested in Anugamini's lap.

Anugamini, her fingers gently stroking his hair, watched him with a knowing smile, a victorious glint in her eyes. Ajashakti, his eyes closed, savored the tranquility of the moment. The weight of his responsibilities, the pressures of his kingdom, seemed to fade away.

"You must go," she said, her voice filled with a gentle persuasion. "Your subjects await your arrival."

Ajashakti, his eyes still closed, groaned softly. "It can wait," he mumbled. The comfort of her lap, the warmth of her touch, was too enticing to abandon.

"You've been saying that for hours. They have been waiting for you." She said, her eyes sparkling with amusement.

"They can wait for another hour." He replied, his voice carrying a note of indulgence. His love for her, his desire for her company, had clouded his judgment.

Anugamini's smile widened, her victory evident in her eyes.

"Don't you care about conquering the heavens ?" She asked.