CHAPTER 27

The rain had subsided an hour or so ago, leaving behind a damp, earthy scent that hung heavy in the air. The sky, still overcast, cast a muted light on the palace grounds.

Inside his grand chambers, Ajashakti reclined on a luxurious diwan, his eyes scanning the contents of a letter. The soft cushions of the diwan cradled him, providing a comfortable respite from the demands of his kingdom. His gaze, usually filled with a regal intensity, was softened by a gentle smile that played on his lips.

The peaceful tranquility of the chamber was shattered by the soft jingling of anklets. His head snapped up, a smile spreading across his face as he caught sight of Anugamini. His eyes lit up, a spark of joy igniting within him.

Anugamini entered the room, her steps hesitant as she approached the diwan. She fidgeted with the end of her uttariya, her eyes darting nervously from side to side.

"Asur-raj...." She murmured, her eyes downcast.

"Yes ?" he replied, his voice a gentle caress.

"I was wondering..." she began, her voice trailing off. She glanced up at Ajashakti, her eyes meeting his. Seeing the letter in his hands, she paused, her voice softening. "It's alright if you're busy," she said, a hint of disappointment in her tone.

"No, no, I'm done." He assured her, "It was just a friendly letter from Pralayant."

Anugamini's eyebrows raised slightly at the mention of Pralayant. However, she quickly masked her reaction, her expression returning to its usual innocence. With a graceful movement, she stepped closer to Ajashakti and took a seat on the diwan, her position facing him.

"It's perfectly fine if you're busy," she said, her voice soft and understanding.

Ajashakti chuckled, a warm sound that filled the room. "I assure you, I'm not busy," he said, showing her the letter.

Anugamini looked at the letter, her eyes scanning the page with a feigned nonchalance. In reality, her mind was racing, analyzing every word, every stroke of the pen.

"Who is Pralayant ?" She asked although she knew.

Ajashakti chuckled, his eyes filled with warmth. "Pralayant is the king of the Danavas," he replied, his voice carrying a note of pride. "He is my most trusted advisor, my right hand. His words never go against me, what I say he follows."

"But if he never goes against you, is he even a good advisor ?" Anugamini's question hung in the air, a subtle challenge disguised as innocent curiosity.

A flicker of doubt crossed his face, a momentary hesitation that betrayed the complexity of his relationship with Pralayant. He paused for a moment, his gaze fixed on Anugamini's face. "He has always acted in my best interests."

"Has he acted in your best interests or his ?" Anugamini asked.

His eyes narrowed, his mind racing as he considered the implications of her words. He had always trusted the Danava king, but now, a seed of uncertainty had been planted.

Anugamini chuckled, her eyes sparkling with mischief. "My father used to say that a ruler must always ask themselves these two questions when evaluating their advisors."

Ajashakti stared at her, his mind racing. The simplicity of her words belied the profound truth they contained. He had never thought to question Pralayant's motives, his trust in the Danava king unwavering.

"But I never understood his words." Anugamini quickly added, "It's just that I don't understand much about the intricacies of politics," she said, her voice filled with feigned innocence.

"In your innocence, you often say things that make me question my own reality, little bud." He muttered.

Ajashakti's gaze lingered on Anugamini, a soft smile playing on his lips. He reached out, tucking a stray strand of her hair behind her ear.

"Anyways, what were you here to ask ?" He inquired.

Anugamini's cheeks flushed with a hint of embarrassment. She hesitated for a moment, her eyes darting nervously. Finally, she found her voice. "Now that the rain has stopped, could we perhaps go for a walk in the forest ?" she asked, her voice barely a whisper.

A soft sigh escaped Ajashakti's lips as he listened to Anugamini's request. The innocence in her voice, the childlike wonder in her eyes, tugged at his heartstrings. He found himself smiling, a warm, indulgent smile.

"Of course," he replied, his voice filled with a gentle tenderness.

--------

The rhythmic clip-clop of hooves against the forest floor filled the air as the chariot glided through the dense canopy of trees.

Ajashakti leaned back against the plush cushions, his eyes scanning the forest with a keen intensity. His long, dark hair, flowing freely, framed his face, adding to his imposing presence. One hand rested casually on his lap, while the other gripped the edge of the chariot.

Ajashakti couldn't resist stealing glances at Anugamini, his heart warming at the sight of her who was a stark contrast to his imposing figure. Her delicate form, clad in flowing garments, seemed almost ethereal in comparison. Her eyes, wide with excitement, darted around the forest, taking in the sights with a childlike wonder.

Anugamini turned to him, her face flushed with excitement. "This part of the forest is so beautiful," she exclaimed, her voice filled with awe.

"Then we shall spend some time here." He replied.

Turning to the Daitya driver, he gave the command. "Halt," he said, his voice firm. The driver, ever obedient, pulled on the reins, bringing the chariot to a stop.

Ajashakti was the first to disembark from the chariot, his movements fluid and graceful. Anugamini followed suit, her heart pounding with excitement. As she stepped down, Ajashakti reached out, his hands finding her waist. With a gentle tug, he pulled her down from the chariot, his strength tempered by a touch of tenderness.

He then reached for his quiver, a sleek, leather case adorned with intricate silver engravings. With a swift, practiced motion, he slung it over his shoulder, the weight of the arrows a familiar burden. With a powerful grip, Ajashakti also lifted his bow, its taut string humming a silent song of anticipation.

Ajashakti held out his hand, a gesture of invitation. Anugamini, her heart filled with excitement, reached out and took his hand. Then they ventured into the depths of the forest, their footsteps echoing through the tranquil undergrowth.

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
A/N

"It's just that I don't understand much about the intricacies of politics," SAID THE AKHAND MAHARANI 🤣🤣