CHAPTER 39

The dimly lit room was filled with a tense silence. Diti, her movements agitated, paced back and forth, her mind racing with a whirlwind of thoughts. Danu, her face buried in her hands, sat by the window, tears streaming down her cheeks.

The two sisters, their hearts torn by conflicting emotions, were trapped in a web of their own making. The consequences of their actions, the choices they had made, were about to unfold.

"There must be a way to defeat Amarsri." Diti declared, her eyes flashing with a sense of helplessness.

"It's impossible," she replied, her eyes filled with tears. "She is the daughter of Vishnu and Shankar."

Diti's eyes narrowed, her determination unwavering. "We must find a way," she insisted, her voice carrying a note of defiance.

Danu's voice, filled with a mixture of fear and resignation, echoed through the room. "Don't tempt her fury," she pleaded, her eyes filled with desperate hope. "We have lost many sons in our pursuit of ambition. It is time to reconsider our ways."

Diti's eyes, filled with a mixture of determination and pride, met Danu's. "Conquering Swarglok is the birthright of our sons. We cannot let their sacrifice be in vain."

"Is it worth it ?" Danu asked, her voice barely a whisper. "How many more sons and grandsons must we lose ?"

Her eyes, filled with tears, reflected the weight of her anguish. Diti's expression softened, a flicker of doubt crossing her mind. The sacrifices they had made, the losses they had endured, were a heavy burden to bear.

"I think the fault lies with us," Danu confessed, her lingering at Diti. "We wanted to snatch what was not ours, to meddle with divine order. We have paid a heavy price for our arrogance, our greed before also. But we didn't learn from it."

Her words were a plea for peace, a surrender to the inevitable. Diti, her heart heavy with a mixture of grief and resignation, listened in silence.

Danu sighed and lowered her gaze, "In
our ambitions, we were glaring at the sun. It seemed bright and promising, but O sister, it blinded us."

---------

The setting sun cast a golden glow over the royal garden, illuminating the ornate gazebo where Ketunemi, the Rakshasa king, was enjoying a moment of relaxation. Surrounded by a bevy of beautiful Rakshasi maidens, he was indulging in a luxurious evening of pleasure.

Some of the maidens held wine jugs, pouring the amber liquid into goblets that he raised to his lips. Others massaged his body, their touch gentle and soothing. One maiden, particularly favored by the king, was nestled in his arms, her head resting on his chest. All of them had been brought by force. Some, their spirits broken, had accepted their fate, their resignation a shield against the pain they endured. Others, their hearts heavy with sorrow, hid their pain behind forced smiles.

Ketunemi's eyes were closed, a contented smile playing on his lips. The music of the maidens' laughter, the gentle breeze, the intoxicating scent of flowers - it was a perfect evening, a moment of pure indulgence. However it was otherwise for the women, their lives, once filled with freedom and joy, were now confined to the palace walls, their existence reduced to mere objects of pleasure.

Suddenly the sound of footsteps, a gentle intrusion into his moment of indulgence, pulled him from his reverie. Ketunemi's eyes, heavy with the weight of intoxication, fluttered open. As he looked up, his gaze met Anugamini's, and a smile spread across his face.

The sight of her, a vision of ethereal beauty, sent a thrill of excitement through him. His heart pounded with a mixture of desire and anticipation, his senses heightened by the scent of her perfume.